pain in coccix (tailbone)

hello guys! I have herniated l4-l5 and s1. I have went to several pt to get help from the herniation but all they do is give you a paper with general exercises to do (not for my specific situation) and almost all of them are done lying down. 

the thing is, everytime i lay down i get a huge pain in the tailbone area. i dont know if this is caused by the herniation or other factors. 

but how I'm suppost to strengthen my area when it hurts in the tailbone? pt told me he had no idea and just continue doing the exercise even if it hurts..... im planning on just making my own program and doing a lot of research and rehab because i already went to 6 pt and i dont get much of a help. 



  • @Steven7 please talk to your doctor before starting an exercise regimen. You could do more damage than good. Search in the right hand corner for this article:  

    Exercises to Avoid with a Lumbar Herniation

    It will give you some exercises to avoid, and variations to these. It's a start. It's great that you are researching everything, but I would get it approved by your doctor. Good luck! 
  • Steven7SSteven7 Posts: 69
    edited 07/18/2017 - 9:20 AM

    hey jilly. well to be honest, my spine specialist, chiropractor and even my general doc told me "dont do pt, do your own research and start working on your core somehow, pt are a waste of time, its just the same thing". like i said in my previous post i went to 6 diferent pt and they just rush things, theres no relationship between patient and doc. they just give me randome exercise to do at home. and if its done at the clinic i dont get supervised. also, i wanted to ask. everyone says PT, but here in puerto rico (where i live) theres two kind of pt. sport medicine pt an normal physical therapy (no sport medicine). what do you guys recommend to go to? i injured myself with deadlift so sport medicine would be like the "duh" to pick, but i already went to 6 and they just either give random stuff or rush the epidural injection before even meeting the doctor ;/. is there really a huge diference between the two? 

  • advertisement
  • mlsmmls MarylandPosts: 81

    If your doctor doesn't know what's causing the pain, then you might want to go to another doctor for a second opinion. For me when my GP and surgeons couldn't help me any longer (when I continued to have pain for many months after my neck surgery for a ruptured disc), I went to a physical medicine and rehabilitation (PM&R) doc who diagnosed me with chronic myofascial pain. Then I was able to research how to address that condition. If you're interested in my journey, you can take a look at my website. The url is listed below in my signature line. 

    Note, some people with herniated discs don't have pain, so the tailbone pain may or may not be due to the herniation. Again, another reason maybe to continue to seek out other specialists.

    Throughout my pain journey, I, too, went through several "traditional" physical therapists who did the same thing--gave me exercises that didn't help or made it worse. It was when I got some trigger point injections that I first got some relief (but it didn't last). Then when I got specialized myofascial release (mfr) physical therapy, things started to really change for the better. That, and believe it or not, understanding that there is an important aspect of the mind-body connection associated with chronic pain, helped me even more. 

    Also, my guess is that both the general PT and the sports PT are more like traditional physical therapists and are maybe pretty similar, but I really don't know. Personally I didn't have luck with traditional PTs. It was the mfr PT (by therapists with specific whole-body mfr training) that started me on the path to recovery with my condition.

    I hope my experience in some way helps. Best of luck to you!

Sign In or Join Us to comment.