advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.

This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

See the Veritas Health sites: Spine-health.com, Arthritis-health.com, Sports-health.com, Pain-health.com for medical articles and videos.
advertisement

Which impacts you more

dilauroddilauro ConnecticutPosts: 12,072

Over the course of a year or so, I've read more discussions regarding this non-religious trinity

1. Spinal Stenosis  
  2. Sciatica
  3. Degenerative Disc Disease 

I have had, still have after a number of surgeries all three.  I put them down in the order of negative impact to my daily life.   For all practical purposes, the sciatica is essentially gone except during periods of flareups.

I still put stenosis at the top because of  loss of bladder and bowel control, inability to walk more than 20 steps and ongoing sharp stabbing pain when I stand.  Sciatica was more of a 24x7 problem, that at times was worse and better.   I list DDD, only because I have it in all three disc regions.   Following an approved exercise program, occasional OTC NSAIDS , DDD is at least under control

For those chronic pain sufferers with all three, which one have you felt impacts you the most in daily life?

advertisement

Comments

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,443

Since I have had spinal stenosis,DDD and sciatica for so many years, I know the stenosis has impacted me the most. Plus, with everything else that has developed in the last couple of years, now it's hard to tell what is causing what or what is causing the pain.
    Like you stated, loss of bladder and bowel control has slowly gotten worse, I can't walk very far or stand for very long, and the stabbing pain going up my spine. It's bad enough I had to have a pain pump and I'm still in pain.
    The sciatica has just recently gotten worse, to the point I'm having SI and piriformis injections the 8th of Aug. So right now that is impacting my life a lot.

I do my exercises every day and walk as much as I can.

Sandra
    Veritas-Health Forum Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical Story  
  • Max_LeeMax_Lee New York, United StatesPosts: 383

The stenosis affects my arms, hands, legs, and bladder and causes the weakness, clumsiness, numbness, bladder problems, and walking problems. It's also (I'm guessing) probably not fixable without fixing the mechanical issues causing it surgically.

The DDD is part of the cause of the stenosis, but at least it can be masked a little bit with meds. It's causing compression, pain, stenosis, neuropathy/radiculopathy, bone spurs, and a whole mess of problems for me.

Sciatica is not an issue I really have frequently and it only seems to happen if I lift something wrong. It can be resolved with rest and meds within a few days.

Kieran 
     "The loneliest people are the kindest. The saddest people smile the
    brightest. The most damaged people are the wisest. All because they do
    not wish to see anyone else suffer the way they do.''-Anonymous

My Story: https://forum.veritashealth.com/discussion/90688/pain/neck-pain-cervical/help#latest

• advertisement
  • I have now been sciatica free for 4 weeks, apart from two little twinges, since my two level lumbar fusion and it is quite alien to me not to have it.  A brilliant result so far from my surgery and hope it carries on.  I keep forgetting I do not need to hold my body in certain position to avoid it :-)

Spinal stenosis has also impacted but I hope this will also stay away.  I have had some sharp pains since surgery but less a lot lot less then before.

The biggest impact for me is Degenerative Disc Disease - biggest impact on my mind that is, as it is the underlying reason for the other two conditions and I have this is several areas and it does seems to be progressing rather quickly.

AJ

AJGormit

---------------------------------------------------------------

L5/S1 herniation Apr 2013
    nerve root injections Oct 2013
    L5/S1 discectomy Jan 2014
    L5/S1 nerve roo &, facet joint injections & edpidural Jan 2015
    L5/S1 revised discectomy, L4/L5 discectomy & Wallis Inswing Stabilisation L4/L5 May 1st 2015
    L4-S1 TLIF with decompression June 2017
Sign In or Join Us to comment.