advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Having herniated disc shaven?

hi, I have a herniated disc in my lower back. They said it's mild and won't do surgery. They just want me to take pain meds the rest of my life. 

It's not mild to me though. I can't even get up from sitting down without pain. When sat for long the pain radiates down both my legs. I was a carpet fitter for 8 years that's probably the reason it's popped out. I can no longer work. 

So I need surgery, but being out of work funds are tight. Spire healthcare won't give me a price over the phone. They said I need a consultation 1st. That's £250. 

Has anyone had the same surgery privately and if so how much did it cost you? 

Thanks 

advertisement

Comments

• dirtbikeguyddirtbikeguy Posts: 17
    edited 09/04/2017 - 5:34 AM

In the US it can cost close to $100,000 with surgeon's fees, hospitalization, rehab, follow up visits, medication. You may be worse off after the operation than before.

At least the doc was honest and told you the truth. You will get better in time. I did in less than 5 months. Yes, it hurts like hell, I can attest to that, and you feel your life is over. It is not. 

You can get better doing nothing but mild excersize and taking pain medication. Be careful of using NSAIDS long term. Cannabis works well if legal where you live.

See if you can get a script for Gabapentin. Works well for pain with few if any side affects. Makes it livable, at least. Very inexpensive.

Hang in there.

• @dirtbikeguy ive been on gabapantin since the beginng of summer i know everyone is diffrent but even at 600 x3 a day t dosent help much i see my surgon the 21st and i get my xray results tomorrow and when i got paperwork before when i had my first surgery  think the cost was like over a grand for visit

• advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.