advertisement
advertisement

4 days post op microdiscectomy

hello everyone, I had my microdiscectomy, foraminotomy and a hemilaminotomy on Monday. It is now Thursday and I'm just wondering about a few things. I was told not to lift,twist pull or bend for 6 weeks and to walk as much as I can. I can walk no problem and I'm still sore. The doctor said it's normal to still be in pain that it goes away 80% of it in two weeks and almost all of it should be gone in 6 weeks. I don't know if I still feel pain down my leg to my foot or if it's just sore and inflamed. I don't want to get discouraged or freak out but I want some answers. I know recovery is different for everyone but I guess I just thought I would feel anymore pain at all. 

advertisement

Comments

• My husband is 14 weeks out from similar surgery and still in pain. He had nerve compression for 18 months prior to surgery. His was at L5/S1. They fed us that 2 week line as well but now say 6+ months. 

• I had similar surgery almost 4 weeks ago. 1st week was somewhat disappointing. I didn't feel like eating, lost 15 pounds and weakness in my foot was a little better, but only about 20%. After one week felt much better only taking occasional Advil. Now I'm still not back to normal but each day feels a little better. I doubt inflammation goes away that quickly. Any surgery I've had seems to take a few months to be totally healed.  Hope you keep feeling better. Patience isn't many of our strengths. Good luck

Bob

• advertisement
  • AJGormitAAJGormit Posts: 2,087
    edited 07/23/2019 - 1:08 PM

hi brianna08

Welcome to Veritas Health Forum

it is a worrying time after surgery, wondering if you are doing something right or wrong.

the best course of action is to follow your medical teams advice to the letter.  no blt and lots of walking, but short walks and laying down in between. this was the advice i was given, as laying too much can make the body stiffen up more.  little and often i was told by my surgeon and listen to your body he said.

i was also told to just perch for 6 weeks, for meals and toilet runs etc.  no prolonged sitting as the disc is still healing and is at risk of re-herniation for 3 months.  all this information was given to me by my team and this is my experience.  if you have not been told these things, please get the go ahead from your medical team before doing these things.

log rolling in and out of bed will also put less strain on your back and make is easier to get in and out of bed i was told.

i have added two links below to help you get started.  there is much more information and lots of thoughtful and helpful members to talk to

welcome to spine health

all new members should take the system tutorial 
    aj

• Hello,

I am two weeks post op for total laminectomy and discectomy of L4-L5. A little bit different than yourself but I was a bit disappointed the first week after surgery because I didn't know if what I was feeling was normal or if I was still crushing my nerves. 

I always had numbness and pain in my right leg and foot (I actually developed foot drop) and when I woke up from surgery I had numbness on and off in both legs completely down to my feet and I panicked a little. I had tons of inflammation and each day when I wake up its better and better. Sometimes if I walk too much my right foot feels more. I think that my nerves are still very inflamed and I am re-learning what my body can/can't handle. 

Try to stay positive, you're not alone! 

Vanessa

• Great to read these replies.  I am 4 days out from bilateral discectomy and having considerable pain and numbess in left foot and leg.  I have to get up every 20-30 minutes at night to walk it off.  Otherwise, my back doesn't feel too bad and I could probably stop the pain meds if not for the foot and leg.  I see the doctor next week for first follow up and hoping he won't be too concerned. Thanks again for your responses.  They really mean a lot.

• advertisement
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.