advertisement
advertisement

What's Going on Right - And Not So Right

A month has gone by since the original discussion was started, What's Going on Right.
Since then, we have had a lot of members that have had surgery or pending surgery, recoveries, more tests, etc.
But also our everyday lives, things we do, can't do or want to do.
What's going on right and maybe not so right?

advertisement

Comments

• Hi All,

This message may be received as negative but really is meant to be purely my own observations.  I guess in light of the topic it would fall under - And Not So Right.  Since my forced retirement, I have experienced what seem like time speeding forward.  I get up early enough but then noon time comes and goes.  Next time I look its six oclock.  A few minutes later and its time for bed.  This is repeated over and over.  Time has accelerated for me.  Can you feel the hourglass sands flowing?   

I have a huge chain around my waist.  It must be twenty feet long.  On the other end is a huge boat anchor.  I have tried to brake the chain but alas it is forged in steel.  I awaken with it and close my eyes with it.  With the right combination of jelly beans I can forget about it for a short time.  I can even drag it around with me but finally I succumb to its mass and size.   I must then go to a specific store to purchase jelly beans.  They are costly and elusive.  I struggle to make sure I don't eat too many at once for they are rationed daily.   When I enter the jelly bean store I can see others waiting to receive their own jelly beans.  When I was younger I could not  understand why others wanted these jelly beans.  Are they magical?  Are they indeed worth more than gold?  As I have long ago reached my pinnacle of good health, now I have slid down the slope toward my twilight hour.  I now notice others have a chain around them also.  Together we will help each other with our mutual burden.  Two together can stay warm.  Two together can fight off an attacker.  When two are together and one falls the other is there to help.  When the single one falls who will help him up?  Let us lift each other up with words of confidence and encouragement.  We are all in this for life.

dmo 

• gfishggfish Pittsburgh PAPosts: 111
    edited 09/30/2017 - 9:13 PM

I thought of Marvin Gay- What's going on. Great song.  I had to play it on you tube. Nothing is going right for me. The last few months it has been bad for me. I have a very high tolerance for pain.  Add the pain is getting bad for me.  I had thoracic surgery from T4-T10 3 years ago.  Right now, I know the top and lower level cant take the stress anymore.  I live with a solid 8 in pain.  And that's is the feeling of the knife in my back and cant breathe. It does affects your whole chest and back. My original nero just wrote me off.  So I went to a very well know ortho,  scheduled surgery and the surgeon canceled. Says I should seek someone more qualified?  Not like we didn't talk, And we both knew what was involved. All the risk and the whole procedure. Seeking a new nero or ortho is not easy when you don't drive.  Its really hard being tuff and not complaining about how bad the pain is to the wife.         So what going right? I needed a therapy animal I thought. So I am the owner of Guinea pigs. I had them as a kid. How it happened was my oldest son  brought his girlfriends over and I feel in love with it. So the next day I went out with my daughter and bought them.  They lay with me on the couch and do understand a lot. I don't have the ability  to take care of a dog.  Cats can be independent. As I don't want to sit with you now.  I had them both at one time.  

• advertisement
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 3,406

dmo
    However your, or my, message comes across, it's how you feel. 
    And we are all in this for life, hopefully, here too. We need to be for ourselves as well as for all the new members to chronic pain. 
    You are one of the few lucky ones to have support from your wife. Even though she makes you help with quilts (lol), she is helping you mentally. 

gfish
    Great song!! 
    I hate to hear when anyone is in that much pain. I've been there and you can't describe it. But maybe it's time to tell your wife so she can help you find a neurosurgeon. Evidently your surgeon did not feel confident enough to do your surgery, so that could be a good thing.
    Any animal can be great therapy. I totally understand about the cats as we have 3. When I want to lay and be still they want to pounce and play. But it does give you someone to confide in and they listen so well.
    Take care and keep us posted.

• I'm not doing terribly lately. I have a new girl friend, going on 3 months are she understands my situation. She has chronic pain for a shoulder issue, she is not medicated like I am. I can actually feel like a normal person for hours at a stretch. She's taking me Friday for the 2nd of 3 cervical nerve root injections. The sex is pretty good therapy too.

• advertisement

LTee
    Great to hear from you on an update! A new girlfriend that understands will make a big difference in your life. I'm really glad for you.
    Sometimes that's all it takes, a little understanding. The rest of your comment is great too. lol

• I'm convinced that 2018 will be much brighter than 2017.  I try so very hard to be grateful for all the blessings, yet reality has a uncanny way of showing differently. Last May I had a 3rd fusion. My first 2 were anterior, so I went into this one convinced that 3 weeks and I should be back to work. Reality... 11 weeks later I was released. August I got very disturbing news that my younger sister had cancer, "maybe". Reality...she had a VERY aggressive form of cancer that took her way  early in mid September.  My husband of 2 years and who I loved dearly was there the whole time. Reality decided it was time for yet another blow, and exact 3 hours and 16 minutes after my sis passed  away, my cherished husband left me. I have seen him twice since Sept. 16th. ( to gather his things) The typical symptoms of my prior surgeries started up again. My surgeon in Seattle ( I live in Oregon) had me schedule an appointment with him to discuss the new MRI findings. Reality...My neck needed to be fused 2 more levels down. As of Dec 11th I'm currently  fused C-2 thru T-1. Posterior AGAIN!

I can't help but to smile and attempt to shake my head with this neck brace on,  at the stranger and completely unforseen year 2017 was. I dare not think those thoughts of  "What's the worst that can happen " for 2018.

So, for 2018 I will hold close the "Ignorance is bliss " quote and cherish my many blessings while I still can!

Hi tinalynn!

You had an awful year, to put it bluntly. I am so sorry to hear about your sister, my sympathies to you and your family.
    Keep your positive attitude, it will get you through. But what happened for your recovery to take 11 weeks? And how are you doing now?

Life goes on, don't let it pass you by.

• I'm in a bad stretch the past month. Broke the transmission in my hotrod, took it out with help. Trucked it to a shop, got it back and put it back in with help. One of my axles had a seal leak last week, took the axle out and changed the seal. I'm having lots of pain from working in confined areas. This past weekend was a killer, opened my pool and did some gardening with the girlfriend helping. Still too much on me. AND I got my rx changed to something that did not work at all... to something that partially works. I may have to let it build up in my system.

• I've been learning to cope with increased pain, med changes and more immobility. I've been talking with friends, checking Spine Health, praying, having a Bible study and believing that things will be ok; even when they don't feel like it. Anyone else want to share?

advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.