advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Detrax Cervical Surgery

I am scheduled to have surgery in approximately 3 weeks using the Detrax hardware. I was so thrilled at the idea of real pain relief that I did not ask much about the procedure. The surgery using Detrax has only been FDA approved for just over a year so I'm finding very little information online. Pleeeeease!!! If you've had this particular surgery, please tell me about it. I'm desperate and anxiety ridden. What can I do to prepare ahead of time? Is temporary home health care something I may need? What about bathing, dressing myself, toileting, etc? How much pain is involved in recovery? How limited are activities? Any help you can give to ease my worries will help. 

Cathy
advertisement

Comments

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,482

hi cirvingfleming!
    welcome to spine health

are you talking about dtrax hardware and instrumentation? i personally have not had any experience with this but i have done research like you have. as with any surgical procedure, there are doctors out there that are always trying to find better ways for surgery, and that's a good thing.
    below is a very good article worth your reading for cervical surgery.

while you are waiting for other members to reply, please click on the welcome link below and well as the tutorial to get you started on the forum.
    welcome to spine health

Sandra
    Veritas-Health Forum Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical Story  
  • My friend, with 2 failed 4 level ACDF's, has been proposed this procedure (are they all posterior?).  She said in a facebook or somewhere she found the two people that had it, it failed.  Since she went into heart failure with her first ACDF, she doesn't need to go through this again, so I admit I'm discouraging her.  I'd really find resources of success rates.  There will be no long term ones...

ACDF w/Corpectomy C3-6 12/8/14 ; Laminectomy C3-6  5/19/2016

• advertisement
  • I had DTRAX hardware C3-C4 on February 15th of this year. My neck has fused and I have had no issues. Recovery was pretty easy. I am happy to answer any questions that you may have. 

• Hello Everyone. Brief History: I am fused from C3 to T1 with titanium plate + 9 screws. C3-4 and C4-5 were done in 1996 (ACIF).  After a car accident eight months post-op, my fusions were extended to T1 for a total of five consecutive levels. Over time and due to DDD, I have had additional disc blowouts at T8, T12, L3-4, L4-5, L4-5, and both sacroiliac joints.  I have been resistant to any additional fusions and have opted for injection treatments, including so many radio frequency ablations, I’ve lost count. The RFAs in the c-spine are in the facet joints at the fused levels and at C2. 

I have horrible occipital headaches which extend up to my forehead and to the left jaw and in the left side mastoid area. Also, there are several subchondral cysts in the C2 facet joints. Recent scans support the need for an additional fusion at C2, preferably using D-Trax as it is minimally invasive. However, my insurance carrier, Anthem (in California) still denies D-Trax as “Investigational.” This means my surgeon would have to perform the fusion “the old-fashioned way,” using a posterior approach. Basically, Anthem would rather pay for a 3-day hospital stay (versus 1 night with D-Trax) and expose me to a far more invasive surgery.  I am told that an anterior entry is not recommended for C2 fusion. 

I would like to hear from anyone who is similarly situated. If you have had D-Trax, how are you doing? How many levels? And has anyone been successful in getting a reversal of Anthem California’s denial for D-Trax? Thank you for reading this.

advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.