advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Problem with walking post lumbar fusion

First. Thank you to the many posts I've read as I had 4 level spinal lumbar fusion surgery 4 weeks ago.  I've learned a lot when faced with pain and sleeping in my bed the first month. Having this network gave me mental relief knowing others have same issues and I wasn't alone.  I will later post my first month as I kept notes to help others .

Today's question is my left leg gave out about 2 weeks before my surgery.  I had a left foot drop for years. Due to many other spinal issues 4 different  neurosurgeons were hesitant about operating on me .   My current surgeon told me 3 years ago we would monitor twice a year but as long as I was vertical and able to walk along with my bodily functions being normal  that he wanted to wait to do surgery.  Well once my left leg gave out he rushed me into surgery within a week and half.

Post surgery I've still needed my walker I started using after my fall. If I keep my left leg stiff I can walk okay. Not great. Just ok.  If I bend my left leg slightly I will fall.  I'm getting stronger in both legs just still having that darn left leg issue.

My question is has anyone else had similar or same issues I'm having?. I'm not having any pain just the issues when bending my knee .

I will add that when I fell I lost strength in my left leg to the point moving my left leg I had to physically life with my arms to love my left leg to position. Even in recliner /lift  chair , when I want to re-position my leg I must reach and move it.  I am able to bend it now without the aid or my arms or right leg 1 month post op.  It's like below knee to foot has no strength to move. Above knee is better.

I'm confident once I start PT and along with time for nerves and muscles to rejuvenate the I will be able to walk minus a walker or cane.

Sorry this is so long . If you have had this same issue I'm hoping to hear back positive or negative as I want to learn to work on this. 

Thank you in advance 

advertisement

Comments

• hi sbragg98

welcome to spine-health

first and foremost, well done for getting through that surgery and so glad we were helping even though we didn't know it :-)

spine-health is a great place for support, advice and just to feel you are not alone, on the days you feel alone or your struggling with pain/mobility.

i suffered more from balance issues before surgery and had to start using a stick after my second surgery (l4-s1 x2 discectomy & wallis dynamic stabilisation).  i suffered permanent numbness in areas of my right thigh, calf and foot, which happened before i could get my first surgery.

my third surgery tlif l4-s1 will hopefully give me more stability in time, once my muscles have built up as well, and my aim is to throw the stick away at some point (well, in the back of the cupboard anyway).

once you start pt, they will be able to assess more and help you move forward with techniques.

i have added two links below to help new members with information.  there is lots of material to research that will give you the power of knowledge.

welcome to spine health

aj 
    AJGormit

---------------------------------------------------------------

L5/S1 herniation Apr 2013
    nerve root injections Oct 2013
    L5/S1 discectomy Jan 2014
    L5/S1 nerve roo &, facet joint injections & edpidural Jan 2015
    L5/S1 revised discectomy, L4/L5 discectomy & Wallis Inswing Stabilisation L4/L5 May 1st 2015
    L4-S1 TLIF with decompression June 2017
  • Thank you AJ. And good luck as you recover from your surgery 

• advertisement
  • Thanks sbragg98, keep us updated on your progress. Make full use of the forum to chat to members on their posts or to research with the articles that have lots of interesting information.

AJ

AJGormit

---------------------------------------------------------------

L5/S1 herniation Apr 2013
    nerve root injections Oct 2013
    L5/S1 discectomy Jan 2014
    L5/S1 nerve roo &, facet joint injections & edpidural Jan 2015
    L5/S1 revised discectomy, L4/L5 discectomy & Wallis Inswing Stabilisation L4/L5 May 1st 2015
    L4-S1 TLIF with decompression June 2017
  • Thanks AJ.  I have read many posts. It sure makes me feel better knowing I'm not alone with my spine recovery 

advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.