advertisement
advertisement

Chronic back pain, have to pop/crack dozens of times a day

Comments

• Hmm. This thing is so confusing.  I have like all the other same symptoms as you.   The only thing I don’t have that I see most people do have is issues sleeping.   I sleep like a baby basically cause I’m exhausted from hurting all day and I have no pain when I’m off my feet. 

One thing I’ve noticee that sort of makes the pressure in my back let go for a little bit is if I do a rapid motion wihere I push my chest up and lift my shoulders up at the same time.  I get this crack that sounds like 4 sets of knuckles being cracked and it does release some stiffness before it eventually comes back minutes later. 

I see an orthopedist on Monday. Will be interested to see what he says.   to me it sounds like we all have arthritis of the back.  

• ghost84gghost84 Posts: 2
    edited 04/15/2019 - 3:25 PM

Bell- I get very bad migraine headaches as well and have same symptoms you described. Probably very tender in the neck and the base of the skull too right? 

I am told by my PT therapist to do MacKenzie chin tucks and trunk stretching you can look them up on youtube. Also the double lacrosse ball massager balls work alot by laying on the floor and laying my neck down ontop of them and holding there for 5 minutes as a release.

I have it opposite I wake up and feel crummy but gets better as I move around.

• advertisement
  • Hi!

I've
    had the same situation after I gave birth and nursed my baby in an
    uncomfortable position (i thought it was the reason). Fist it was
    just a pain in my elbows, then the neck and upper back and at least
    all my spine and chest felt like on fire from inside out. I've made a
    decision to feed a baby in different poses, finally stopped nursery
    but the ache didn't stop. That was terrible, I was not able to do
    housework, after an hour of walking I was on fire... Awful. 

Wasn't
    able to hold my kid even for a minute, just pain and frustration. But
    I've got a cure! After months of hell, I started practicing yoga
    for the beginners and accidentally felt the relief. Day
    after day It feels better and better, but in the morning the pain
    returned that's why I decided to try sleeping on the floor, my
    husband said I'm insane, but mornings are better now. Here's good
    info about
    this it really works. Yoga and a flat “bed”. Hope you will try my
    method, it's super simple and makes life better without pain. 
    Get well

• Ghost

omg yes the base of my scull and tension in the neck.  It’s the worst.  

I’m actually going to my PCP in the morning tomorrow because one of my arms is randomly having patches of hair going away and then beginning to grow back.  Now this could be stress related because I’ve been under a lot of stress and anxiety for a long time because of my daily pains, but could also be a symptom of an autoimmune disease. 

I’m also going to a pain management clinic tomorrow afternoon as well to hopefully finally get some real meds to help me manage the pain better so I can be more active 

So you also get the neck, upper back, and low back tightness while standing?

• My symptoms go through phases though. I’ll go for a month where I wake up every morning and my back muscles are all sore.    Right now I’m in the phase where I wake up and feel great but the tightness starts a little after I’ve started being on my feet. 

• advertisement
  • daniuthoffddaniuthoff Posts: 3
    edited 06/18/2019 - 10:56 AM

Hey crackit! What you may be describing is Slipping Rib Syndrome, and it has many other names like rib subluxation, painful rib syndrome, clicking rib, displaced rib, or rib tip syndrome. A gross summary of this condition is when the joints connecting the rib to the spine or sternum become weak, which causes the rib to "slip" out of place. 

I've had slipping ribs for a decade now--literally. I have about 4 currently in my back. I have a specific slipping rib located in my upper right thoracic region that I have to pop back into place easily over 100 times per day. It takes about a minute, sometimes even less, for it to fall right back out of the joint. I have to contort my body in all kinds of weird positions to get a pop. Sometimes I barely have to do anything at all to get those pops, like simply inhaling and inflating my lungs. It's relentless pain 24/7.

I've been to a multitude of chiropractors, massage therapists, physical therapists, etc. It's always a temporary fix. Being as I've dealt with this condition for a decade now, I've had A LOT of time to research any and all information regarding back issues. There is very limited research about this condition..some doctors do not even believe in rib subluxations. And I can't even begin to describe my frustration with doctors who either don't take my pain/issue seriously, or think that a simple adjustment(s) will solve my problem.

I'm at the point where I need surgery to correct this issue. Surgical options include removal of the affected costal cartilage and if necessary, correction of the flared rib. I'll be seeing an orthopedic surgeon soon to get this process started. If you think that your condition is severe, then I would highly recommend going to an orthopedic doctor.

There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.

Liz Veritas-Health Forum Moderator 

• Hey crackit! I'm fairly certain what you're describing is Slipping Rib Syndrome, and it has many other names like rib subluxation, painful rib syndrome, clicking rib, displaced rib, or rib tip syndrome. A gross summary of this condition is when the joints connecting the rib to the spine or sternum become weak, which causes the rib to "slip" out of place. 

I've had slipping ribs for a decade now--literally. I have about 4 currently in my back. I have a specific slipping rib located in my upper right thoracic region that I have to pop back into place easily over 100 times per day. It takes about a minute, sometimes even less, for it to fall right back out of the joint. I have to contort my body in all kinds of weird positions to get a pop. Sometimes I barely have to do anything at all to get those pops, like simply inhaling and inflating my lungs. It's relentless pain 24/7.

I've been to a multitude of chiropractors, massage therapists, physical therapists, etc. It's always a temporary fix. Being as I've dealt with this condition for a decade now, I've had A LOT of time to research any and all information regarding back issues. There is very limited research about this condition..some doctors do not even believe in rib subluxations. And I can't even begin to describe my frustration with doctors who either don't take my pain/issue seriously, or think that a simple adjustment(s) will solve my problem.

I'm at the point where I need surgery to correct this issue. Surgical options include removal of the affected costal cartilage and if necessary, correction of the flared rib. I'll be seeing an orthopedic surgeon soon to get this process started. If you think that your condition is severe, then I would highly recommend going to an orthopedic doctor for this procedure. 

• daniuthoffddaniuthoff Posts: 3
    edited 06/18/2019 - 11:00 AM

I want to add on to this because I'm realizing just how many people out there are having very similar issues. The research is limited and hard to find, so I hope I can add more information and key words for you guys to use to further your search! Like I said in my previous post, I've been dealing with back problems for over a decade now. I'm only 25 years old, but I always joke around that I feel like I'm a grandma from all the aches and pains.

On a more serious note, I want to discuss the onset of problems that Slipping Rib Syndrome (SRS) has caused for me throughout the years. I deal with a wide range of issues, most of what has been discussed by the users in these threads. From the excessive back/neck popping throughout the years, my costovertebral joints (joints connecting ribs to spine) have continually strained themselves to the point of deterioration, which is where the osteoarthritis comes into play. For clarification purposes, also know that you can experience slipping ribs in your chest as well; costochondral joints and costal cartilage connects the ribs to the sternum, and ribs can slip out of the costochondral joints the same way in the chest.

It's been stated in the research that affected people can experience postural problems in the upper back with forward hunching, which helps in alleviating some of the pain. Because I'm constantly hunching my head forward, overtime it caused my neck to curve forward. The neck problems I'm experiencing can be just as painful, if not worse, and bring forth new problems like pinched nerves, tingling and burning sensations, extreme tenderness, and very limited mobility--unless I crack my neck every which way. These cracks are by far the most painful. 

The pain in my back/neck radiates to many different areas of my body and eventually manifests into a new problem, like pelvic tilt for example. The most commonly reported symptom of SRS is pain in the lower chest/upper abdomen region, or the costal margin. From personal experience, the pain in this region can come and go, but when it's present, it can be just as unbearable as my back pain. So now the misalignment of my ribs have caused further misalignment and pain of my neck, chest, and hips. It's important to know that usually where there's one slipping rib present, there's several more nearby. This creates a domino effect of pain, misalignment, nerve impingement, forms of arthritis, and most of all a vast hole in my wallet from the numerous unsuccessful doctor visits. 

More severe cases might benefit more from a costovertebral block, which is an injection of anesthetic and anti-inflammatory medicine to "block" the pain. These are both temporary fixes. Unfortunately, these methods have yet to help me, which is why I stated the need for surgery in my previous post. The procedure has a couple of names I've seen it referred to as, but I've found the most info on costal cartilage excision. Basically, this procedure is the removal of the weak, deteriorating cartilage. 

I hope that this helps some of you out there! The more information you know, the easier it is to find the answers you need. Hopefully the bold words help to broaden your searches and give you a better understanding of your own issues. And by the way, for what it's worth, I've found the most helpful information from forums like this! The evidence (or lack thereof) out there in medical case studies and journals doesn't compare to the abundance of evidence I've found from real-life accounts of people with the exact same symptoms. Good luck to you all!

• Thank you so much for your input. I haven't heard of SRS but it certainly sounds the same as what I have, although I have no symptoms in the front chest rib area, and I do have the same sensation in joints around my pelvis, hips, groin as well.

Interestingly, a nuclear bone scan revealed lesions at the back of a rib, where it connects to the spine. I suspect this was related to two shoulder subluxations I've had. Come to think of it, my symptoms in thoracic spine started after the first shoulder subluxed.

Will look into this. 

• Daniuthoff, have you seen the orthopaedic surgeon yet? 

Does anyone else have experience with slipping rib syndrome? 

advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.