advertisement

In this Discussion

There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Stumped and so are the so called experts

Hi. Is there anyone out there going through or been through what i am going through at the moment. I started getting thoracic pain months ago and as i already have several spinal problems including a 10 hour operation for spondylolisthesis, i see a spinal consultant on a regular basis.  He sent me for an MRI for this new pain which showed a paravertebral mass on the right side, this came back as a neurogenic tumour so further imaging with contrast dye was ordered, this then came back saying it was not a tumour but an aortic aneurysm, then CT angigram imaging with contract which has now come back as not being anything to do with an aneurysm or a neurogenic tumour, so now i am being referred to there MDT meeting (multidisciplinary team meeting) to discuss what the mass is.  I am now worried sick that this is going to be some sort of cancer but all the tests do not show any massess anywhere else so it will not be secondary cancer spread from something else.  It is driving me mad with worry now as i worked as a medical secretary before i got ill (with more than just my lumbar/cervical/thoracic spine) so i understand the terminology of most of it, but for the hospital radiology saying after MRI and CT they don't know what it is i am seriously stressing out.  I'm in the UK by the way so i am treated by the NHS.  I know they discussed me in their MDT on Friday 1 December, but no phone call to let me know what the conclusion of my care is going to be going forward, i know i may get a letter but i don't know where they will go from here. Has anyone else gone through this and if so what was the outcome for you, or has anyone else had an unexplained mass on their spine which was diagnosed correctly.

Thanks

Sue 

advertisement

Comments

• dilauroddilauro ConnecticutPosts: 12,609
    edited 07/16/2019 - 3:40 PM

Doctors will try all different tests and variations to isolate the problem. I dont know how the system runs in UK, but I know when I find a good doctor here, they will stop at nothing until they can find the problem.   Its part of their own pride to be able to find something when others can not.

To me,  If you doctor has just some of the below, you are heading in the right direction

• Open minded
    • Willing to discuss options
    • Always a two way conversation
    • Work on alternative treatments
    • Most importantly, when they are stumped, they say so and route you to a higher level of expertise.

Sign In or Join Us to comment.