advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.

This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

See the Veritas Health sites: Spine-health.com, Arthritis-health.com, Sports-health.com, Pain-health.com for medical articles and videos.
advertisement

Different MRI Shows different results

Hello, 

Was curious if anyone has experienced the same situation. Back on 12/2016 I had a injury that shown mild interval worsening 2-3 mm left foraminal disc bulge at L4/ L5 with underlying contained annular fissure, resulting in narrowing of the left neural foramen. Remaining lumber spine demonstrates mild spondylosis with out significant narrowing of lumbar thecal sac, lateral recesses, or neural foramina, L4/L3 mild bulge.. I've had multiple epidurals, different assortment of medication but the pain and discomfort is still around after the epidurals wear off. As of last week, Went in for another MRI as requested by a QME and the findings came back as normal exam. Granted different MRI machines/ doctors reading, and 1 year apart. but the pain is still there and tomorrow I go in for a Rhizotomies. How can an MRI show different results and still cause similar pain and sciatic issues? 

advertisement

Comments

• L4_L5LL4_L5 Posts: 1,416
    edited 01/18/2018 - 11:59 AM

You probably got a bad radiologist.

Also there could be collusion between the QME and radiologist. You certainly would hope not, of course!

If you end up needing surgery they probably would rather give you a phony MRI reading and risk that you’re not going to pay cash to get a third one.

That way they have evidence that you’re all better (even if you’re not).

Something stinks here.

If I were you I’d get a third MRI at a mom and pop MRI facility (look in your phone book or google the phrase “Local MRI” and check the directory for locations in your area). 

It might cost $300 (try to use your own insurance if you can) but if it comes back showing the same disc bulge at the same level (as on your first MRI) then that’s proof the second MRI is poppycock.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

• MarWinMarWin OhioPosts: 699

Or maybe the disc wasn't bulging at the time of the MRI. Remember that symptoms and pain do not lie or deceive. Get 3 MRI's and you might get 3 different readings and you'll have added even more fancy words to your list of ailments.

• advertisement
  • L4_L5LL4_L5 Posts: 1,416
    edited 01/18/2018 - 12:35 PM

Get 3 MRI's and you might get 3 different readings and you'll have added even more fancy words to your list of ailments.
    I have some experience with this. 

If he gets a third MRI at a mom and pop imaging facilty (ordered by a non-QME doctor) rather than from where the insurance company wants him to go, I strongly suspect that bulging disc will rear its ugly head again. 

Why did the QME want to do another MRI? It could have been a slick opportunity for them to introduce an unremarkable MRI in your claim to stonewall you from getting future treatments paid for.

I sure hope you have a comp. lawyer.

What are the allowed conditions in your claim?

• nutcase007nnutcase007 United StatesPosts: 918

RCrown - I think in every state you are entitled to a copy of every MRI.  I would take those MRI copies to an independent qualified professional for a read.  I agree with all the above comments, it smells of collusion.

advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.