advertisement
advertisement

How long to continue daily walking

Hi

Can anyone advise how long I should continue with the daily walking routine post  discectomy?  

I was walking religiously twice per day.  I had surgery mid October. I've become less structured with the walking but do have lower back ache at nights. Wondered what people experiences have been of continuing walking as a form of rehab exercise post surgery  

advertisement

Comments

• I had lumbar fusion in mid-December, and have been walking pretty much daily since the surgery.  

For me, walking is great, because it's harder for me to "overdue" it.  I found myself "pushing it" on the treadmill, so walking outside is best (weather permitting). Early on, I would get exhausted pretty quickly, now I walk for a few miles, flat and hills. I would walk longer, but I have foot issues.

It seems to me unless you have screaming nerve pain, walking appears to be a great long-term form of exercise. 

I also practice contracting my core while walking.

What does your surgeon recommend for you?

• Hi Steffie and any thanks for your response. 

Yes walking was highly recommended  and like you, I walked 2 or 3 times per day religiously.  I'm now 4.5 months post surgery and my question is how long do people continue the walking for?  As you mention, it's a great exercise and therefore people may just continue because they enjoy the exercise but I'm wondering how long they were advised to continue for?  Pleased your recovering well  

Regards.  

• advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.