advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

T10-S1 fusion

Comments

• hi StClergy

sorry I am late to the discustion I have had a bit going on. i was 58 when i was fussed from T9 to S2 with pelvic fixastion. for me there was a lot of pain right after surgrey and it lasted about a month then there was a big dip in it, at about 6 to 7 week i started to get off all the meds, they had me over medicated so was really out of it, i was on 2 reg pain meds, 2 nervie pain  meds and two muscel relaxants.

i hope your family watches and doesn't let that happen to you. but the biggest diffrents for me was seen at 3 months. i hope all went well for you and i will be here when you return after your surgrey.

•  Hi to all.  I'm new to this site but so far I've been encouraged by most posts.  I'm scheduled to undergo a fusion from T10 to my sacrum in a few weeks.  I have degenerative scoliosis along with a history of 2 herniated discs.  Up until about 6 months ago I was pretty active-hiking, riding a bike 20 mi or more with only mild pain.  A few months ago I herniated another disc and since then I've been forced to use a walker.  In addition I've become twisted-my L hip sticks out and my head is centered over  my R foot instead of the center of my pelvis.  I've had two spinal injections w/o benefit as well as PT.  I can only sleep in a recliner in a certain position.

I am quite fearful of what limitations I will have after surgery.  I've read where some people are able to do most activities of daily living, ride a bike, hike, etc.  However others say they can't do much of anything- even wiping their own rear ends.

I hope to get some help and advice from people who actually had this surgery and what their life is like.

Thanks in advance!

• advertisement
  • scoliogirlsscoliogirl Augusta Posts: 36

It's so comforting that there are successful surgeries out there!  How did yall research the drs. that performed your surgeries?

I'm going to go to the surgery buddies as suggested - didn't know about until now -Thanks!

• WLLadyWLLady Ontario CanadaPosts: 1,489

tbirk-my whole story is in my scoliosis parts 1 2 and 3 here in the scoliosis section.  your description is very like mine, only i was "bent" the other way.....head over my left foot, and my right hip out....i had a couple fractures and slipped vertebrae too.  i am 15 months post surgery and i am doing just about everything i could do before with a couple exceptions.  i still cannot run (but i think now i'm being a bit of a wuss as opposed to will never be able to run), i cannot bend or twist at the waist (i just do at the hips instead, and use my knees a lot more), i haven't ridden my horses again yet (but i will).  otherwise i do not find the restrictions anywhere as bad as i feared.  yes, i get tired still pretty fast, and i'm still in physio, but i am able to lift and move even more than i could before surgery (because my spine doesn't collapse anymore!) i do have some nerve damage, so i limp a tad on my left leg when i'm tired.....and i do have some pain....but the pain is NOTHING like before surgery for me.  the biggies are bending, twisting, getting to the ground (i just kneel instead of squat if i need to work IN the dirt like planting a garden or something; but i can pick up a sheet of paper off the floor by squatting just fine), looking backwards over my shoulder (just move my feet to turn....it's easier).  i'm fused T10 to S2 and pelvic fixation.  oh, and the boarding house reach at dinner is shorter because i have to do that from the hips....

scoliogirl-i had no choice here in canada-i was sent to a clinic and the clinic chose the doctor and the ONLY thing i could have said is "no" or "yes".  but as is, i ended up getting all 3 surgeons at the clinic (so they could do the surgery in one go instead of 2 days) and a neurosurgeon...so.....if you have the option to meet with different doctors and get their opinions-and the biggie for me is someone that will LISTEN...like honestly listen.  i was lucky with my team, they were fantastic. 

Kathy
    Veritas-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Dec '16 T10-S2 fusion with pelvic fixation. Laminectomies L2, L3, L4, L5, facet removal, cages L4-5, L5-S1, severe scoliosis, arthritis and stenosis repair. 

• Thanks to all from StClergy! I did have the T10-S1 surgery. Was very difficult and scary. I almost coded because of a PE. They put in a  in cage. My SATs went to 43. Luckily, they acted fast. Then found pneumonia. They got that taken care of. My breast look like a warzone. Decubitus from laying on my front for the 12 hour surgery!. Addressed that. Now for the back. I said I would have never done this if I had of known the pain! I am a week and a half out and today I walked a good far distance and climed 8 stairs. Who would of thought? ( I forgot to mention that my left leg was numb tor 3 days. ) It's the most painful now. Can't lift it without horrible pain. It is slowly getting better. A bad thing is having to poop! Right now the CNAs do the clean up. Embarrassing!! When I get home though, I dont have that luxury. I'm going to work hard folks. I just want my life back!!

• advertisement
  • StClergy:

I am 16 months out from my surgery and doing well.  I had T10 to my pelvis.  I agree with other posts it is a long, tough recovery but after being in so much pain before surgery I was motivated to keep moving forward.  It didn't get better every day.  For me it seemed to get better each month as I realized I was suddenly able to do something I hadn't been able to do the month before.  I did join this forum and it helped a lot to hear from people that had the same surgery at the same time.  Many times I would come on here and comment on my latest frustration or even weird symptom only to find other people with the same problems.  I was in quite a bit of pain for a while afterward.  I was on pain meds slowly weaning myself off them until I was totally off at 8 months.  I have not had pt but probably will soon.  At the time of my surgery I was 60 yrs old.  Things are good now.  I too will never be pain free but I really think having the surgery was the best decision.  I have my life back now!   I was headed for a wheel chair but now I can walk a couple miles or more a day.  I can bend from my hips now but I try not to do that a lot.  I can not lift any more that 10 lbs but to be honest I'm ok with that if that means not having the pain.

Hope your surgery went well and you too are on your way to recovering!

• WLLadyWLLady Ontario CanadaPosts: 1,489

Stclergy-i used a wiping aid for the bathroom for a good 6 weeks after i was back home. And got some babywipes that were moistened, and that helped a lot.  Ya gotta do what ya gotta do, and theres no shame or pride in it.  Just look forward. The waking up nerve pain is the worst-the burning aching never quits nerve healing pain. Keep ahead of it....its easier that way. And i found moving actually helped things to feel better-within my energy levels.  The improvements are weird-like one day i couldnt lift my toes, but the next i could...but then 2 weeks they wouldnt do it again, but then they did again.....its 3 steps forward and 2.5 back.  Just be patient....congrats on coming through the surgery!! Now its time to take the time to let your body heal.  One step at a time.

Kathy
    Veritas-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Dec '16 T10-S2 fusion with pelvic fixation. Laminectomies L2, L3, L4, L5, facet removal, cages L4-5, L5-S1, severe scoliosis, arthritis and stenosis repair. 

• Meg56 - did I read correctly on another thread that you are fused T10 - pelvis and had it all done thru minimally invasive type surgery???  If so, then all I can say is wow and you must have a talented surgeon.

10 level fusion T9 - S1 with pelvic fixation. Two titanium rods, 24 screws, 4 cages.

Firm believer in PMA

• Meg56 I am fused T9 - S1 and it was also 2 stage but I wouldn't call it minimally invasive but any means.  I've got about a 10" scar going down the middle of my back.  I've also had a great outcome.  I'm actually in awe of what these surgeons can do.

10 level fusion T9 - S1 with pelvic fixation. Two titanium rods, 24 screws, 4 cages.

Firm believer in PMA

advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.