advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. On June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums moved to forum.veritashealth.com.

Learn More

Need help in Fl getting scripts filled

I  I had back surgery about 10 years ago still due for another surgery have chronic back pain and prescribed many medicines to this time in which they have decided the only thing that works for me is 10 325 percs  4 per day and extempazam which is a oxycodne 9 mg  2 times per day time release!

This combination finally works which allows me to be out of bed and moving most of the day and sleeping thru the night!

For the past 2 years the laws and how they fill these scripts has gotten to a point where I’ve been in the hospital twice because refusal to fill or told many diffent story of laws I never heard of and all different. Every pharmacy seems to have their own rules. At this point I don’t know what to do all the major pharmacies have their own rules and it’s very difficult to get filled anywhere finally Walgreens has agreed to fill them and put me in their system problem moving to Florida is that they are no longer getting anywhere near their full allotment as they call it and every month may run late sometimes I have to go back to the doctor and switch medicine because they can’t get certain kinds of the Oxsee code on that they want me to be on I’ve had way too much Tylenol over the years they wanted me to go on the Oxy 10 with no Tylenol but the drug stores refuse to fill ?

Who do I contact for help! I need my meds on time!

Remember this is Florida!

advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 12,988

Unfortunately, this is the way the distribution and disbursement of opioids is going.  Florida is one of the more difficult states in the nation in getting opioids.   

Also remember, that out of state prescriptions will not be honored at 99.9% of the pharmacies.

In many states today, opioids can be filled for 1 week only, even with a 30 day prescription.  Unless the doctor has made previous arrangements with the pharmacy, 1 week is the maximum to be filled at tone time.

At this time, you best option is to call various pharmacies in your area to see if any of them can satisfy your requirement,  OR go back to your doctor and find a different type of prescription (opioid) that some of your drugstores can obtain.

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • peanut006peanut006 MichiganPosts: 146

I don't think you say specifically if this is a PCP or a PMD but if it is a pain management doctor, they are also typically anesthesiologists. (At least mine is) If they are, I've definitely had the best treatment by going to the pharmacy inside the hospital that my doctor is affiliated with. Because they both know the doctor as a member of the staff, and because they're a hospital, they keep my medication always in stock and have no issues filling it since they have a relationship with the doctor. I don't know if this helps in your particular situation but it's definitely served me well. 

The only other advice I can give is to talk to your doctor about the issues you're having and ask them if there's a specific pharmacy they have a good relationship that they might recommend to you. Or as dilauro said, work with your doctor to get a more commonly prescribed medication that you won't continue to have issues with hopefully. 

• advertisement
  • Great advice from both Ron and Peanut.  This campaign to rid the world of opioids is going to get worse before it gets better.  My personal feeling is that we are all going to get familiar with hemp oil or pot out of necessity.  

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • My father had to pharmacy shop here in Florida he was using a major retail pharmacy (He had the same scripts with them for 10 years). Then one day they refused to fill his stuff. He ended up having to go to a small mom and pop independent pharmacy and so far so good... I will say that he had a surgery a few weeks ago and they wouldn't give him extra pain meds but he has been able to get his normal monthly scripts with an issue. My solution just take gabapentin no problems with that!.

advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.