advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Stretching

Any of you do / try regular stretch for your back? Does it help?

advertisement

Comments

• MarWinMarWin OhioPosts: 699

Every morning. And as much as I can through the day. Gotta keep the muscles prepared at all times. My morning routine changes, but it is mostly stretches that allow gravity to relax and balance the muscles rather than "stretching" them. 

Having had low back pain for over 25 years, and sciatica for over 2 years - I know it works  :)

• Which stretches do you do?

• advertisement

Depends. Are you strictly referring to LBP? My routine for that is 1) Sitting Knee Pillow Squeezes, 2) Static Back Knee Pillow Squeezes, 3) Modified Floor Block, 4) Static Extension, 5) Airbench (wall squat), 6) Static Back, 7) Supine Groin Stretch, 8) Airbench (wall squat). 

• dilauroddilauro ConnecticutPosts: 12,303

Only stretch what your doctor approves you to do.  MarWins stretches some pretty conservative, so I wouldnt worry about those.

BUT YOU NEED ACTUAL VISUAL DEMONSTRATIONS SO YOU KNOW THAT YOU ARE DOING IT RIGHT

I onced used one of those cervical home traction units, with the harness and water for weight.  They said it was great for your neck, but no one told me how long to use it.  Well, I used it for 45 minutes and I suffered for a couple of days

• I have looked on youtube at stretches. I am doing mild stretching.

1.  On back, lift one leg to chest hold for 20 second, repeat with other leg. 3 sets
    2.  On back, lift hoth legs to chest hold for 20 seconds. 3 sets
    3.  On back curl hips up while keeping back flat. 3 sets
    4.  On back, legs together, bent and roll to right hold for 20 seconds, then to left for 20 seconds. 3 sets.
    5.  On sitting on knees and stretch out with hands along the floor. Hold 20 second. 3 sets
    6.  On hands and knees and do the 'cat' only. Arching back up. Hold 20 seconds. 3 sets
    7.  Squat down and embrace legs as if hugging them. Hold for 50 second

Only been doing this a week. Plus i ice my lower back twice a day (lie on wrapped packet of peas).

• advertisement
  • dilauroddilauro ConnecticutPosts: 12,303

Sounds good, when did your doctor approve them?

I would very much agree with Ron. I would also add to be extremely cautious of "stretches" that put your mid-section into any type of impingement. To me, those are forced stretches and can put stress where its not needed. Especially the 1,2,3, and 7 stretches. I've done all these, and they certainly felt good in the moment, but ultimately didn't give me any long-term positive results. Keep in mind, that's just me though. Maybe I didn't do them in proper order, or proper form.....

• When i went to the spinal clinic the doc told me there to do the stretches. Gently. No force. Plus an osteopath told me the same thing too. The stretches above dont seem to put any stress on my back. They do stretch the muscles though. Laying down is much better than standing and doing stretches, for me.

I guess time will tell if they are right or not.

advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.