advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.

This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

See the Veritas Health sites: Spine-health.com, Arthritis-health.com, Sports-health.com, Pain-health.com for medical articles and videos.
advertisement

Excessive Sweating After Back Injury. Thoughts Please?

Hyperhidrosis After Injury. Input Please.

My situation is interesting and I'd like some input, as my doctor has been useless...

Male: 31 years old.

Hyperhidrosis Start: 1 year ago.

Location: buttocks/low back and sometimes generalized all over.

Triggers: Heat, Activity, Stress.

Tests: Thyroid and urine test for pituitary tumour. All negative along with general blood tests that were fine.

Medication: None

Situation:

- 7 years ago: injured my neck in a car accident and have bulged discs and arthritis and have constant pain.

- 5 years ago: work injury and blew out lumbar discs L3/L4, L4/L5 and L5/S1 and have significant degenerative disc disease and have constant pain. No surgery yet.

- 1 year ago: car accident and injured my thoracic spine (T7), which is still causing issues and I am awaiting a MRI. Car accident aggravated my lumbar back injury as well.

- Almost instantly after the car accident and injuries I began noticing excessive sweating on the buttock area, which has never happened before.

- This progressed into heat sensitivity and generalized sweating all over in hot weather or with activity, along with random hot flashes causing extreme sweating. Buttock sweating will occur with any activity, heat or stress.

- At the same time I began having tingling sensations in the groin and buttock area.

Doctor:

- Does not know what to say, has never heard of the issue and does not think it is associated with the back injuries.

- Claims it is related to stress and/or anxiety but has been unable to provide any suggestions.

- Waiting for a referral to a neurosurgeon for a consultation.

Thoughts:

- Since these symptoms started RIGHT after the car accident and aggravation of injuries, I think it is too coincidental to think they are unrelated.

- Has anyone ever had something like this happen after an injury and could this be associated in any way???

advertisement

Comments

• Wow, I can't say I've never heard of this issue before.  To be honest, it almost sounds like a chemistry change within your body.  Have the doctors done any blood work to check hormone levels? 

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • Thank you for the comment. I have never heard of this either, which is all that more frustrating!

My doctor has done blood work but I do not believe he checked hormone levels. Is there anything specific you would suggest asking for?

• advertisement
  • Any other thoughts at all? I really would love to get this figured out as soon as possible and my doctor really had not been helpful at all.

• nz1025nnz1025 Posts: 192
    edited 05/22/2018 - 8:51 PM

i think i read once about injuries to certain ares of the spine (think it was neck c4/5 maybe...) can effect how the body regulates temperature. it might be worth trying to find out about this. i think it was a comment on this site, but cant remember. good luck!

• Thank you. I will try to find that...

• advertisement
  • I'm not exactly sure which hormones they should check.  Don't take this as a slam, but I know some women have temperature fluctuations during and after menopause.  It's all about our chemistry.  I would think your doctor would also check your thyroid.

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • Yeah I know, that is the first thing I thought. I had my thyroid checked but there is nothing wrong on that side of things.

I have MRI's that I will be getting next week, so we'll see how things are looking there. I am also booked for nerve conduction tests, which I am quite nervous about.

Sure hope we can find the issue ASAP!

• Just had neck and lumbar MRI's today....excited and nervous to find out the results!

• nutcase007nnutcase007 United StatesPosts: 918
    marcus60486 - I'm assuming that with general blood work, that included CBC with includes white cell count.

You might want to consider a rheumatologist review.  My neurosurgeon sent me to a rheumatologist and she found that I was severely deficient in Vitamin D. 

• Thanks for the response nutcase007.....Did you have symptoms that are similar?

advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.