advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.

This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

See the Veritas Health sites: Spine-health.com, Arthritis-health.com, Sports-health.com, Pain-health.com for medical articles and videos.
advertisement

Fusion ACDFs (C4/C56/C6/C7) recovery expectations

I am curious how all of you doing that had your C4-C7 fused. Recovery tips, etc.  Any working desk jobs, how soon back to work, special office equipment  (I just got a veri desk), tips for returning back full time with collar, an anything else you would like to share.

I am scheduled 6/19 for my surgery. I admit I am scared to death about it!  I do have spinal cord compression caused by the vertebrae along with arthritis and bone spurs compressing nerves.

I have high hopes to be back to work in three weeks (full time). I am the Admin Asst and school Registrar for our year around Charter school. Thus, it is hard for me to be out too long. 

I do understand we all heal differently, but would love to hear about your recovery and return to work. 

Thank You!

advertisement

Comments

• Hi Margeryjane 

I was fused c4-7 8 years ago. The surgery went great. I began walking within a few days, more and more. Hiking and fused at 90 days. 

I was out of work for 4 weeks due to my NS request. He asked me to wear the collar another 2 weeks which was a bit embarrassing at work, but I wore lots of scarves! 

My fusion is still going great. The spinal cord looks,great now (I had pretty impressive compression). 

It was all due to arthritis. And alas, I have foramenal stenosis on one side below the fusion. Seeing the doc tomorrow. Ultimately the problem is my body. He did a great job. I even went skiing. 

I was so,freaked out before the surgery. I woke so very relieved and pain free. 

Doing tasks in front of me was tough as I couldn’t look down in the collar. And I wish I had known how helpful a neck rub was after surgery. Between that and the collar, everything was so tight. Friend, loved one, massage therapist... all can give a hand!

Be patient; learn to twist and flex more with other parts, like you waist.

Best wishes for a great surgery and wonderful recovery. It will feel,so much better from the other side.

• Hi there, I don't have recovery tips, but wish you well!!  I'm looking at ACDF c 5-7 fusion surgery next week.  I also am an Admin and was only hoping to be out for 4 weeks.  I am young, but a slow healer and have a bleeding disorder.  Good luck and hope to hear of all good outcomes!  

• advertisement
  • Hi there, I don't have recovery tips, but wish you well!!  I'm looking at ACDF c 5-7 fusion surgery next week.  I also am an Admin and was only hoping to be out for 4 weeks.  I am young, but a slow healer and have a bleeding disorder.

• Tips, I broke my neck severely, and the neck fusion went great. I was in critical care 2 days then I walked all the way down to the common area. They said I was the first to walk it in 10 or so years was totally across hospital. Really painful for a month to 6 weeks, but again my was far more complicated than that of a neck fussion. I was in surgery for 11 hours. But again I crushed almost everything in my neck. I think you should be ok, but I'm not a Dr. I pray for a quick recovery and that God guides their hands during operation.

advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.