advertisement
advertisement

lyrica worked for me I ...it is expensive but may be worth it

I have suffered from chronic sciatic pain for over 18 years.  I have managed it with ultram but I still had  what I call wasted days where the pain is high enough that I should not really do anything.  Impossible to think clearly.  Anyway, after all these years of trying every imaginable drug with only ultram working mostly  my neurologist prescribed Lyrica and it worked.  I have fewer wasted days and I notice my energy levels are much higher.  I hope I don't sound like a shill for Lyrica.  If your doc suggests it try it is all I am suggesting.  My wife thinks its a miracle.  Fortunately there will be generic versions next year.

things I have tried are numerous but range from fusion at l5s1 to embedded neurostimulators to hyrdocodone(yikes) back before it was fashionable.  No one really knows what the problem is but I suspect its scarred nerves caused by an excessive number of situp exercise.

advertisement

Comments

• MarWinMarWin OhioPosts: 654

Congrats! 

• for whatever reason neurontin never has made an impact.  I've tried it several times.  You are correct ultram is entirely different, while the Lyrica makes a huge difference on a longer term basis  if I forget to take an ultram dosage I notice in  an hr or so.  They work differently.  It is a shame how ultram has fallen into this regulatory quagmire.  It has made me positively anal about making sure I keep up with my ultram deliveries. and prescriptions.

• advertisement
  • I had always felt that my few 'stints' with Neurontin were ineffectual but my last one I tried to 'stick it out' as long as possible with the mood and memory issues it caused me just because I'm at my end with the pain.  I recently switched from Neurontin to Lyrica due to the pain and mood issues bringing my marriage of 22 years to an end due to the side effects of Neurontin.  Lyrica is like the 2.0 of gabapentin and has been a miracle for me and for my marriage.  That said, the pain has only been slightly lessened but the mixture of Lyrica, duloxetine (Cymbalta) and tramadol is allowing me to at least go to work each day.  I can't take Nsaids anymore as my extended use of motrin has destroyed my kidneys (had kidney failure two years ago).  

• Hi folks,

Sadly I have to report that I had to take myself off Lyrica despite the pain reduction.  Within a few weeks of ramping from 100mg/day to 300mg/day the side effects started  showing up big time.  To be fair, looking back, there were signs but once I went to 300mg they could not be ignored.  Most significant were fatigue (my 30 minute naps turned into 3hrs), balance issues, draining my bladder, edema, fuzzy thinking, and most of the others to various extents.  Of course its different for everyone but pay close attention.  My situation is somewhat unique, I'm 68 and aging fast so there is a temptation to attribute any new  problem to aging rapidly.  My perception is that with Lyrica there is a pain reduction but it seems like there is a requirement for ever increasing dosage which ultimately may lead to many of the side effects.  So...be careful and  pay close attention.

• Could you have not stuck to a lower dose?

• advertisement
  • Good point, I am trying lower doses, basically I'm taking 50mg when the pain gets to where the ultram is not enough.  I am also going back to getting deep myofascial massage/release.  I had been doing that but the person retired and I had to find someone who was skilled at that.  Its not easy to find someone who can do that.  It somewhere between massage and PT.

advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.