advertisement
advertisement

Anyone on here gone through a thoracic fusion?

Comments

• txBeth,

I'm sorry that you haven't had a reply to this before.  I think you will have a hard job to find a surgeon who only does thoracic surgery because it is rare.  I think the best place to find a competent spine surgeon who does thoracic spine will be at a teaching hospital.  I am under a top hospital in London. 

We are focussing on my lumbar spine right now because that pain had become the worst and most debilitating. I had a SPECT CT scan which shows the pain generating levels as glowing.  We have begun injecting my facet joints at L3/4 and L5/S1.  They are also suggesting doing a caudal epidural injection and injecting enough steroid to cause it to flow upwards to try to obtain relief on the three lower levels of my spine. L3/4 has developed a grade 1 spondylolisthesis which they are watching and L23/ and L5/S1 have stenosis with nerve compression.  I am hoping that the injections will help this.

I had an ACDF of C3/4 and C4/5 done seven years ago because of cord compression.  Now the C2/3 level has developed an unstable, degenerative grade 1 spondylolisthesis and the two levels below have also got stenosis but not indenting the cord, so we are watching and waiting that.

They won't do surgery on my thoracic spine unless I develop 'red flag' symptoms such as falling regularly or bowel or bladder problems.

I hope you have found someone to help you.

Sign In or Join Us to comment.