advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.

This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

See the Veritas Health sites: Spine-health.com, Arthritis-health.com, Sports-health.com, Pain-health.com for medical articles and videos.
advertisement

18 years old with Chronic lower back pain

So im an 18 year old male that has been suffering from chronic lower back pain for the past 7 months. My pain was so bad that I couldn't walk for 2 months, so I missed a good portion of my senior year of high school. It hurt to breath,talk,laugh, and I was in pain just laying there. I went to the doctor and they quickly sent me to get an mri, and the results came back saying that I have 3 herniated discs, one being L3L4 with a 6mm disc protusion, then a L4L5 right disc extrusion, and finally a L5S1 2mm bulge. The doctor said that I should do injections to help the inflammation and I did two of those. The injection helped a lot I could walk again and I became 80% of my old self. Currently I am still 80% not fully healed and its extremely frustrating not being able to do the things that I could do before. I still cant run,jump, or stand for long periods of time without excruciating pain and fatigue. I understand that it takes time for this thing to heal but I have become increasingly impatient with this process because the constant pain is still there 24/7. 

I am writing this wondering how long do you guys think I should wait this out before considering doing a microdiscectomy?And those of you who have done the disectomy, did it work? College is starting in a month and a half for me so If im going to do it it would be now so I can be fully healed for the start of college. Thank you!

advertisement

Comments

• Have you taken your MRI to a neurosurgeon?

• Yes, he's the one who told me to try physical therapy and injections before considering surgery. I did physical therapy for a month and it did nothing, it was the same thing as the stretches that I would find on youtube. So he told me to attempt the injection and those worked a good amount. The only things I have not tried yet is a chiropractor or surgery.

• advertisement
  • Even if you’re offered surgery it probably wouldn’t be scheduled for another 4-6 weeks. Unless you’re an emergency case, they don’t take you immediately.

School only lasts four years. But we need our bodies to last a lifetime.

With that said I would put your body first and not get too hung up on having to start college at any certain time, due to this medical condition.

I had to have a tutor for nearly six months when I was young and dealing with an injury. 

Things will work out, even if you find yourself needing to postpone a semester or two due to potential surgery and the rehab afterwards. 

I tried the injections and they didn’t help me but they didn’t hurt me either. 

Good luck and please keep us posted.

Sign In or Join Us to comment.