advertisement
advertisement

Rigid brace for recurrent spasms

i have been dealing with on/off back problems for 10 years. I try to work on my core but it seems when I do, it makes my back issues worse. I have mild 12-degree scoliosis, and I favor one quad. When I get crippling spasms, I usually need a brace to even walk. However i still hunch. Has anyone ever used a rigid brace for recurrent problems? I am trying to avoid drugs and surgery.

advertisement

Comments

• MikethepikeMMikethepike MIchiganPosts: 382

I haven’t but I would like to know if it works well and is comfortable I am hunching over quite a bit and physical therapy isn’t working that well. 

• I have been doing PT , mostly major stretches. It usually lasts about a day. My wife has noticed that I walk crooked now...

• advertisement
  • I was wondering if a thoracic brace would help me with my poster and help prevent those horrid spasms and shooting pains and rib cage lock ups. I asked my pain doc and he adamantly said no , for ME. Not to use one . Told me it would weaken my muscles and I will end up in more pain and have more problems. So I have taken his advice and not got one. Ah well. Good luck on finding some relief. Harpy

• I have heard that too, though it was mostly that you shouldn't use a brace more than you really need to. I am a very active person, I wouldn't want to wear it more often than necessary; it's not like it's comfortable or fashionable! Going to the doc next week, we will see what he says...

• That’s  what I told my dr, I only wanted to wear it when I needed to, sometimes for the support and some times to help with holding me upright when the pain pulls me down. So right now it’s lay down time to relax that rotten upper back. Let me know what your dr says. 

• advertisement
  • I just went, forgot to ask. I am looking at surgery for something, just don't know what.  Will ask the spinal surgeon.

advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.