advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

My scoliosis -part 4

dilauroddilauro ConnecticutPosts: 12,519

Starting Part 4

Part 3 has been closed   My scoliosis Part 3

advertisement

Comments

• WLLadyWLLady Ontario CanadaPosts: 1,489
    edited 09/26/2018 - 12:21 PM

Thanks Ron, William....the saga continues LOL

So morning after the night before.....we ended up getting awful thunderstorms last night with wicked winds (i was sure we were going to have a tornado, but thankfully we didn't).  didn't sleep much.  the baclofen is definitely helping me this morning, i can walk a little bit better.  i did do 1.5 miles on the treadmill last night, as well as all my old physio exercises.  the new thing today is if i lay down on the floor my spine gives a huge "crack!" right at T9 which i'm thinking is finally muscles relaxing some and not bracing as much.  and i can stop the rib pain laying on the floor, so i'm guessing that i'm leaning forward at T9 and annoying nerves there, although i'm not sure how since the nerves come out the back and if i stand up straight i'm fine but if i lean forward i get the rib pain badly....who knows.  i would have thought it would be the other way around but what do i know.....?  i know if i lay down it gets better, so i must admit, i do spend a few minutes laying on the floor at work when it gets bad.  and it's definitely working with my arms in front of me outstretched that is causing it, and leaning on my elbows (you'd think i would learn....).

also got refilled for tramadol for pain.  i told her i only need about 1 or 2 every 2 weeks....which she thought was amazing.  but she wanted me off the tylenol i'm taking completely because of potential liver damage.  Unfortunately (and seemingly genetic) my kidneys are still having issues....right after surgery i started dumping protein-not abnormal because of the muscle damage in the surgery, but they're still not healed from that, and now my doctor is worried that there may be some damage that we need to keep an eye on.  other people in my family have this issue as well, so i doubt it's because of the surgery, but the surgery certainly wouldn't have helped it any.  so.  another reason for increasing bp meds, to help the kidneys function better.....i will admit i'm a bit tired today.  but i didn't sleep much last night (so much for baclofen making me tired ha ha).

anyways,  ONLY rib pain to deal with today.  I can live with that.  but i did almost trip myself walking earlier-my left leg is still having it's own ideas sometimes when i walk.....interesting. 

Kathy
    Veritas-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Dec '16 T10-S2 fusion with pelvic fixation. Laminectomies L2, L3, L4, L5, facet removal, cages L4-5, L5-S1, severe scoliosis, arthritis and stenosis repair. 

a small step forward yesterday, i managed to walk a full km outside on the gravel road!  it took forever, but i did it, and i could have gone farther except my husband said "no, we are turning around now".  then i spent the rest of the night with a wonky left leg LOL.  tired and a little bit on the weak side....it'll come.  my new aim is to be able to walk 5km outside by next summer.  actually by christmas, but that may be a little unrealistic...

the baclofen is definitely helping!  yay!  helping more than any massage has lately.  my doctor said that sometimes with these surgeries the muscles get spastic and have to relearn.  since they're responding to the baclofen it's hopeful they'll relearn and relax.  so anyways, i did all my physio exercises yesterday and walked outside....tonight it swimming and then it's the weekend! hope everyone is doing well!

Kathy
    Veritas-Health Moderator
    Dec '16 T10-S2 fusion with pelvic fixation. Laminectomies L2, L3, L4, L5, facet removal, cages L4-5, L5-S1, severe scoliosis, arthritis and stenosis repair. 

• advertisement
  • my rib pain comes back now and then also, not sure what I am doing to trigger it off. and started back to the gym on tue/thur for lap swimming..i hope to see some inprovment with that..for first week back only able to do 10 laps, I am still finding it very hard to kick normal. so I am getting more of an upper body work out till I get get my legs to move more..if I ever can..don't know that it will come back. I think part of it is the pelvic fixation..most ppl mover there hips when they swim. time will tell I see my surgon on the 3rd, so just a few more days, no X-rayswere ordered so just my 10 mins of time with him to ask questions.

i gave up on kicking-it aggravated my hip a lot....so swimming is a mostly upper body workout for me as well.  yep, i'm noticing the pelvic screws and exactly what motions they impede now....walking-the being able to take longer steps.  i have to lean forward to walk faster, because my legs don't extend back as well with the screws.  and going up or down stairs....really have to use my knees and ankles and hips more and i tend to rock side to side going down....just to lift the hip/leg/foot off the stair to go down.  interesting.  at least the pain levels are getting better, and with the baclofen i've had 2 days of zero rib pain....even with the weather change.  fingers crossed it gets better totally!

for me the big triggers are leaning forward with my arms out (like working at a table) especially if there's any weight in my hands, and leaning on my elbow....which i still haven't managed to unlearn...and picking things up off the floor again and again and again.....

ug i have to get back to swimming.  i did 2 miles on the treadmill last night...and it wiped me out!  argh!  Good luck at your appointment! 

Kathy
    Veritas-Health Moderator

• Kathy, I am 6 weeks out from T-10 thru S1 fusion. I realize I probably have 2-3 years before complete healing. I'm just wondering have you been able to return to work or are you considered disabled now? My surgeon is telling me I will never work again. I am a RN. I applied for disability pre-surgery just received a denial. I am in the process of appealing. Any advice you can share would be appreciated.

Brad Emerson,RN

• advertisement
  • RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 1,033

hi Brad, I'm 17 months post-op of a T-11 thru S2 fusion with pelvic fixation. If your job description still includes reaching over beds to move patients, bending, lifting, or twisting, then a career change or retirement should be seriously considered. Your disability may have been denied because it was applied for prior to your surgery. Many times as you probably are aware of, disability is denied after the first application. Hope you have a good post-op recovery.

ranger

hi brad-sorry havent had much chance to get on the forum this week.  

so as a registered nurse i imagine you lift patients push wheelchairs and gurneys and bend over and lift and are pretty active all day long.  i would say in my experience that as ranger said retirement may be a good idea.  with that said-if i had to do that kind of job i may last 2 hours.  and have a day or two recovery.  i do farm work - moving animals and hauling feed etc but its at my own speed and with lots of help from my dh.  bending and lifting and constantly going to the floor and back up is the fastest way to get the pain going again.  now i wouldnt consider that unable to work because you could likely do another profession-medical administrator or something - more of a desk job still relaed to health care.  may be difficult to find but would be way easier on the physical wear and tear.  even me with a lab job and a great recovery (or so my surgeon thinks) i cant lift my 100lb dog in the car once let alone move patients all day long....

i went back to work full time about 5 months post surgery.  it was super hard...tiring...but i was going insane. now i have a lab job-lots of paperwork and some csi type bench work stuff.  the bench work is still hard but doable. i have the bonus of being able to structure my own days so if i know tissue culture will hurt i can book the hood for 2 times over the day and not do it all at once.  i supervise 11 people-students postdocs and staff.  by the end of the week i am done.  energy gone.  i have realized i have to back off some...which i hate...but the body just cannot.  i will never be normal like everyone else...but i also will not show the world that.  i have learned to ask for help getting heavy items off the top shelf....stuff like that.  but a more physically demanding job i would likely drop to part time...and only after lots of job specific physio.  no i do not think i could lift a patient or push a patient in a wheelchair....at 2 years post surgery....maybe once but not all day every day.  

with that said i have entertained moving to part time anyways because it takes so much more energy and longer to do things that i simply do not have time for other things in life anymore...like getting the house painted....little things....my dh does a lot around the place now that i used to do but just cannot get done.  like picking up the mail-it takes me 30 minutes to walk to the road and back whne i used to be 15....(but then i couldnt do it at all before surgery so remember what i could be like....lol).  i will likely keep my disabled parking pass and if my job were as physical as yours i would probably pursue retraining or retirement honestly.  i barely keep up with the lab work which is not that physically demanding-but working arms out in front for hours is still tough and painful. i am working with my dr on pain control but that means tramadol which means opioid which means public service jobs involving patient care (ie drawing meds etc) for patients would all require third party checks...for the patients safety and rightly so.  

i promised myself to give myself 2 years on the recovery and reasess my working situation. so...here i am at 2 years thinking actively about reducing to 4 days a week at work....and hating the thought.  but we have to look out for our bodies...and our energy.  i think you will need time to recover-and regardless what i was told-2 years-i can tell i am still fragile and still healing!!! so maybe i will give myself 3 years instead.  just dont push too hard....

yes i hope the appeal goes well-bending lifting twisting all day....nope.  but maybe a retraining in the long run-not immediately-maybe keep that door open in your mind....but not an RN position i know i could not even remotely possibly be able at 2 years....sorry this is a super long post!!!

Kathy
    Veritas-Health Moderator

• I applied for dissablity before my surgery, they took one look at my x-rays and the doctor said he did not need to talk to me..i was approved, but other with same as me got denied the frist time..so I was just lucky..but I was also 57 when I got it, I think age is looked at.

• dilauroddilauro ConnecticutPosts: 12,519

Disability approvals vary so much.  I know that with my medical history, amount of surgeries and defined future outcomes, disability would be approved.   However, I have chosen not to go that route.  My personal choice, no need to elaborate.   But I do know in the States of Connecticut , New Jersey and New York, getting disability approval is very difficult.  Many times you will need legal assistance in getting this done.

On the other hand, one state, which I will not mention, except its on the east coast and south of New Jersey, approval of disability is about as easy as getting your drivers' license.   I know someone close that has  very very very minor Rheumatoid Arthritis and was approved disability on the first try.  Yet, this same person jogs every day, rides a cycle for miles, swims, and much more without any problems.   The only thing they dont do is work.

• Thanks for the replies everyone.

advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Sign In or Join Us to comment.