advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Having horrible pain in left side after i had surg on right side L5 S1

Comments

• Any ideas is the impression is bad

• dilauroddilauro ConnecticutPosts: 12,813
    There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
    This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

However, that being said, there are always 3 keywords to look for in an diagnostic test results.

MILD Treated with conservative measures such as Physical Therapy and mild medications. Many times these situations can be cleared up and the condition can be resolved without any additional treatments.
    MODERATE Some more treatments may be needed, ie Spinal Injections, Ultra sound and stronger medications. Always a possibility of more aggressive treatment if the conservative measures don't help
    SEVERE Need for stronger medications. The requirement for surgery may be necessary
    Another key word to look for is unremarkable That is always a good indication!
  • advertisement
  • Hey Shane8302 - It sounds familiar. I had L4-5 and L5-S1 ALIF PLIF fusion surgery and laminectomy. That was in January 2017. Today, I am still having pain on my right side but doctors took x-ray and said it looks good. I just had an MRI on thoracic (did I spell it right?) spine and I had a minimal disc bulging... but also had another MRI on cervical spine and every single disc is herniated, with bone spurs and degenerative disc disease, like in my lumbar spine. They are talking surgery sometime for my neck.

However, that pain after the surgery, that you mentioned, sounds so familiar. I have to lay down soon after standing. I cannot go grocery shopping without having to sit down every 10 minutes or so. I am told to walk the treadmill and have been but struggle to make it to 20 minutes on treadmill. Doctor wants me to walk 45 minutes a day.

I live in Ky, Usa and it's difficult to get anything medically done here, they are very backward and seem to be in the dark ages.

I'd also suggest trying to get an MRI *WITH* contrast. Like the other person said above, with and without contrast.

Sounds like your latest MRI, something's still wrong. Wow. I'm so sorry to see that it's not completely well for you.

Did you get any relief at all, though, from your surgery? I got a quite a bit of relief, but just that right side hurts a lot!

I'd like to hear more from you, as you are able to tell. Since I've had just about the same surgery, I'm interested in your story here. It's important.

• Joe. Thank you for sharing your story. It has been 5 months since i had my back surgery. I still had never pain on right side, same side as surgery. But continued to get better. Now that i am having these issues on left side i am now getting new and different nerve pain on right side in the buttocks and top of leg. Well its in both sides of buttocks and top of both legs. And the nerve pain and back pain ir different and 100 times worse then before and after surgery. I see my back dr this thursday. I am even telling him i dont care if they up my pain medd or take me off ... which they wont. Pain pills hardly take the edge off. I am going to request a mri ( with contrast ) and tell him i dont care what it takes this needs fixed. Since this new pain started. Ive have xray which shows degenerative dics disease. Then had 6 injections. Pt through out this time and a mri. Pt told me to stop coming because it was making it worse. So we will see after thursday and i will be glad to share my visit on here. Oh the pain wrapping from back to groin is getting much worse. It only hurts when my back acts up and is at the worst point. Once my back starts hurting thats it for me for the rest of the day...... : (

• Also i thank everyone for the information and support

• advertisement
  • L4_L5LL4_L5 Posts: 1,441
    edited 10/22/2018 - 5:23 PM

Does it hurt in your scrotum too or just groin? 

I get pain in the back that wraps around my side and then down into groin/scrotum and down front of my thigh

@shane8302

• Just groin. And having a hard time urinating

• Problems urinating here too. Do you think it’s more medication related or post-op related or a little of both?

@shane8302

• Ive had other surgerys, and never had a problem with it. Im thinking its scar tissue on spinal cord . Or like the the other guy said the dr missed a piece of disc and what happened was the scar tissue held the piece of disc against the spinal cord

• Well went to see the back dr today. Checked mri i just had and i had to take new xrays.................. nothing. They cant see nothing on either. I asked for mri with contrast both dr and his assistant said no. No point. We can see everything we need to see on what her have. His said the spine and discs are his realm so i got to fine someone else who could help. He suggestes going back to first pain dr who dont give nothing for pain. All they want to do is injections. Ive had 6 since surgery. So im looking for another back dr for a 2nd opinion. I believe the mri with contrast is key. I said the mri with contrast can see fragments and slivers of either bone or disc. Said of thats not true. So frustrated

advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.