advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.

This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

See the Veritas Health sites: Spine-health.com, Arthritis-health.com, Sports-health.com, Pain-health.com for medical articles and videos.
advertisement

2 weeks post microdiscectomy - feel good, playing basketball

Paul_R_23PPaul_R_23 Posts: 14
edited 10/31/2018 - 10:19 AM in Recovering from Surgery

OK, I'm not playing basketball games, but I did shoot around for an hour a couple days ago at the gym.  Mostly free-throws and no-jump layups.  OK a couple 3 pointers too towards the end.  I haven't seen many positive posts of people getting a micro-d and happily playing basketball a couple months later without re-injury, [edit], I'm starting my own.  43 yrs old, had L5-S1 mdsctmy Oct 16 and have felt great ever since.  I'm regaining strength in my calf and the numbness in my foot is down to just the pinky edge of the foot.  I went back to work 6 days post-op and what a joy it was to have a pain free drive.  I know the just because I feel good doesn't mean I'm healed, and I will not over-lift, bend or twist the next few months, but I also am eager and hell-bent on returning to my pre-op life of balling and bike riding at least once a week.  Besides the shooting, all I've been doing is walking so far and we'll see at my post op tomorrow what kind of PT my surgeon will recommend for me.  Hopefully all my posts will be positive and reassuring to others that a full recovery is possible.   

Paul

advertisement

Comments

• Surgeons place a great sense of caution on you post surgery...and we all respond differently anyway. 

I feel like I among those who have had a successful surgery. At 7 weeks I am swimming and walking 5 miles a day. I do some body-weight exercises, but I know one thing. I'm not going to play basketball until I feel tip-top. I'm afraid of jumping to be honest.

I promised myself I would wait until 5 months before I test the waters with my aerobic activity and some safe strength training. But I will never return to being a gym junkie. That is what landed me here

• Just saw my surgeon a few hours ago and he said no PT until the 6 week post-op mark.  Then PT twice a week for 8 weeks.  That puts me at the end of January minimum to get back to balling.  I was thinking PT would start week 3 but who am I to defy my surgeon?  Just gotta do as he says, not re-herniate, and stay on track.  

The funny thing is my dr showed me (and texted me) a photo of the piece of disc he removed. it looks like a dead mutant goldfish. gross. 

• advertisement
  • I'm 12 weeks post op and have been doing PT and occasionally shooting & dribbling solo.  I plan to train a little harder tonight and if I feel good I'm thinking about playing a few actual games of pick up ball at my own pace this weekend.  Everything's going according to plan and I'm very thankful for that . 

• I'm 14 weeks post op today and I played basketball two Sundays ago, last Tuesday and this past Sunday.  I actually felt best after the first time playing, but after this last time I definitely had some soreness in my lower back afterwards.  Dr just says listen to your body and don't over do it.  I'm just happy I'm at a stage where I can play, but I know in my heart I am not 100% so I will take it easy and take a few weeks off from hoops to do more PT and keep healing.    

• I felt good enough to play two days ago.  I played for almost two hours and hit the deck a couple times and got up no problem.  But later that night and following day I was extremely sore right at that L5-S1 area.  Today is a little better and I'm sure tomorrow will be too but unfortunately I have to reset, recover, and try again in a month.  As long as I'm in that 4 - 8 month post op window I will not get too discouraged, but if it goes past that, then I'll be really disappointed. 

• advertisement
  • challengercchallenger Posts: 1,209
    edited 07/08/2019 - 4:05 PM

Paul, Sounds like you are trying to be smart about your activity, listening to your body is the right thing to do, often times trying to do too much too soon leads back to the operating room, and I am sure you don't want that. 

Chip

• Looks like I wasn't smart enough.  Back pain has mostly subsided, but sciatica in the glute and decreased of range of motion has returned.  I hope it's just some inflammation and a setback, and not worse.    

• challengercchallenger Posts: 1,209
    edited 07/08/2019 - 4:06 PM

Paul

Sorry to hear that the sciatica has returned, I always tell people that the hardest part of recovery is patience, when you start to feel better you automatically want to go back to the things that you did before, I am guilty of it myself, done it many times and pay the price for it. Talk with your doctor about the inflammation. You may want to take the air out of your basketball and hide it, HA HA. Take it easy and good luck, keep us posted on your progress.

Chip

• Paul unfortunately my last comment didn’t post. I would stay away from competitive ball. I played my whole life even some in college and up into my late 30s. I was a guard and played going to the hole or knocking down pull up jumpers. Unfortunately my injury in 2012 as a police officer has given me episodes ever since that finally drew the last straw and I had a micro-D 1/21/19. I feel great! Sciatic pain is totally gone and range of motion is finally back. Even my legs feel more energized. As much as I miss this game while watching college tourney the thought of playing in fear keeps me away from the hardwood. You gotta remember playing in fear or thinking too much causes you to play guarded against injury which keeps you from playing fluidly and loose. It can actually cause more harm than good. To top it off those discs are shock absorbers and those discs getting pounded is not worth it anymore. The last thing you wanna do is re herniate or even worse need a fusion. I cannot steer you away but you are seeing your body speaking to you..change your game... if not just walk away. 

All the best brother

• It brings me too much joy to play so I have to give it one more shot.  I understand that it might result in future pain, but if I can play a few more years, insanely it will be worth it to me.  

advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.