advertisement
advertisement

February 2019 Surgery Buddies

Comments

• Hi everyone! I hope you all are doing well. I had my first post-op appointment this morning. I had x-rays done and then met with my surgeon. He said I am doing great and pointed out exactly what he did, pointing out the rods, cages etc. He has mentioned before that we need to address the interspacer that my first a-hole surgeon put in at L3/L4 for no apparent reason. Early on, he had said that if did not bother me, we may just leave it in. Well today, he pointed out that the spacer is actually pushing that part of my spine out of alignment!! During my surgery a month ago, he actually saw the device and said he couldn’t remove it then because it would be too much trauma to my spine. So...I need another surgery!! He needs to remove it and fuse and cage the two vertebrae. He plans surgery in about six weeks but our son is graduating from business school at the end of May in New York, so I may wait until we’re back from that trip. It’s going to be about a 3-4” incision and he needs to go in on my side. Two or three nights in the hospital!! UGH!! Unfortunately, I do feel it and he says it will become painful soon...Again, I’m so sorry this is long! I just need to vent. I’m angry! Thanks for listening guys! :) XOXO, Meg

• Also just had my first post-op follow up today (5 weeks post). I was concerned I may have had a fracture as I have been having some rather severe pain between my shoulder blades around the top of my incision but there doesn’t appear to be one on the scan. So it may just be lingering surgical pain or an inflamed nerve. That’s a relief because otherwise my recovery has been almost miraculous. I am pretty much off pain killers now and the area I had surgery now feels like the best bit of my back. I just bought a new firmer mattress as I now find the old one too soft.

Meggles, I have had a lateral approach (Xlif) surgery a few years ago and it was quite a quick recovery. Fingers crossed for you!

Best wishes to everyone

• advertisement
  • Oh Meggles, that's really rotten that you need another surgery. Hopefully it will give more relief than discomfort. But it's still crummy. Just when you're feeling better. Hoping you can wait and have some fun before going back in. I go, in two days to have an x-ray to see how I'm healing. Hoping the bone is doing what it must to get this recovery done and over. They say 6 more weeks of no BLT. Grateful the pain has lessened. Hope you're all progressing well and looking forward to the last half of recovery

Sign In or Join Us to comment.