advertisement
advertisement

March 2019 Surgery Buddies

Comments

• My surgery is scheduled for two days from now. Today I woke up with fever blisters (cold sores) on my top lip! Has anyone gotten these this close to surgery? I've battled them my whole life. I believe these showed up from stress.

My concern is during surgery my mouth will have the intubation hose in it and my lips will dry out. If you've ever had these, you know that is the last thing we want. It will crack and bleed.

I will tell the anesthesiologist and hopefully he will remember.

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 3,399

bonnubbin1949
    Welcome to March Surgery Buddies!! I would suggest you tell one of the pre-op nurses to put it in your chart for after surgery so they can have something ready. Do you have any meds now that you use on them? If so, take them with you.
    Good luck on your surgery tomorrow. Please send us an update when you feel better.

• advertisement
  • Just checking in...my surgery was a week ago today (3/25). I came home last Thursday. I'm doing ok. All the restrictions that didn't seem so hard are some what a bigger deal than you think. You don't realize how much twisting and turning you do as an automatic response. I have to really be alert to what I'm attempting to do. I do have a question, how long after you came home did you take medication? I go get my staples out this Friday (4/5). He only gave me a 14 day supply of pain meds and I know how much pain I still have. I would just like to know if I'm worrying over nothing.

Have a good week!

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 3,399
    edited 07/31/2019 - 9:52 AM

I believe in staying on top of the pain. Don't wait, keep it under control by taking it as prescribed. See how you feel in 2 weeks and if you need to, call and ask you doctor for options. Everyone has a different tolerance level.
    When I had my surgery I learned to spin on my heels instead of twisting. To this day, I still do it. Try it out!

You sound like you are doing good, recovery takes time and patience.

Take care and keep us posted.

• Memerainbolt, 

I slipped and almost fell yesterday. I didn't fall, but I feel like I might have pulled something in my lower back. Could I possibly have done anything really bad? I go to the doc on Friday and I'll also have xrays that morning. I'm walking very stiffly. Whatever I did, it took my breath when it happened. I appreciate your comments.

• advertisement
  • @Mems24 I was sent home with a 7 day supply which is law here in Florida my surgeon said I could call to request refills if needed but in my case I was off pain meds I'm just a day or 2 but I was 4 days in the hospital post op. 

• Hey everyone! New here! My name is Lindsay, I’m 33 and I just had a Microdiscectomy on March 25. L5-S1. Im just wondering how everyone is doing pain wise? I have been having some hip pain, back pain, awful tingling in my right foot and my right leg has been going numb off and on since surgery. I didn’t have any of that before surgery besidesnof course the back pain and shooting leg pain. Ive called my surgeon and haven’t heard back so I’m just wondering if this sounds normal? 

• Hi, how is everyone doing?

I am 12 weeks post surgery now and went back to work this week. How is everyones pain? I am still on 6 hourly tramadol and paracetamol, with no sign of being able to reduce that. The muscles in my neck/shoulders/upper back get so so hard and tight. The pain is so intense, I just have to sit down and stop what I am doing. So cooking, carrying anything is problematic as examples. Chiropractor and massager have said that is because of the change in the shape of my body; my back muscles are all stretched out and chest muscles shortened because I had a hunch back for such a long time

Just wondering really, if this is 'normal'? I was really expecting pain to be less at this point?

• Lindsay85 I was told that spinal column is enflamed for 8 weeks post surgery and lots of pain/symptoms will come and go in that time. After 8 weeks, you see what you are left with.  I have a 'patch' on my outer right thigh which is numb. Is it your whole leg/foot?

advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.