advertisement

January 2019 Surgery Buddies

bm1374bbm1374 Posts: 10
edited 12/10/2018 - 8:32 AM in Surgery Buddies

I could use a buddy. My surgery is scheduled for january 8

advertisement

Comments

• ArizonaAArizona ArizonaPosts: 127

I think I'll be on here too, but i don't have a date yet. I absconded from the December group!

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 3,415

LOL!! Thanks for coming over. I have to round members up to keep you company!

• advertisement
  • ArizonaAArizona ArizonaPosts: 127

:)

• I am scheduled for L2S1 decompression and fusion on Jan. 4, 2019. I am looking for a surgery too.  

• I am waiting for an exact day, but sounds like my second fusion will be in mid-january. First was december 2016, L5-S1. Now L4-L5 (maybe L3-L4 too), and revision to existing hardware. I have such mixed feelings. Hopeful, with a new surgeon, but so scared. 

• advertisement
    edited 07/19/2019 - 8:11 AM

l2s1go
    welcome to surgery buddies!! arizona is a great buddy and now we also have momdown. 

momdown
    i am so sorry you are having to go through this again. having a positive attitude will go a long way before and after surgery. also having faith in your surgeon. use the links above to help you out. this is a great support group so take advantage of it!!

• I'm scheduled for an ACDF on Jan. 30. It is he'll having to wait (my date was booked about a week and a half ago) while it feels like a new symptom pops us every few days. 

MessedUpNeck
    Welcome to Jan. Surgery Buddies!
    If you don't mind, tell us a little more about yourself and what happened to cause surgery. This will help in other members responding.

How is everyone else doing?

• I've had neck issues since getting a whiplash injury 20 years ago (struck from the rear by multiple cars). My neck has never been the same since, and I have gotten by through the years with reduced range of motion, going to PT, acupuncture, yoga, massage and prescriptions. In the past year alone, I've been to PT and have been prescribed Meloxicam, Prednisone, Cyclobenzaprine, Tramadol, Fioricet and Gabapentin. Nothing helped (except cyclobenzaprine, which I take only so I can get some rest). I've spent every day of the past two years in pain -- just six months ago, my former primary care doctor said, "You don't need to see a neurosurgeon. Neurosurgeons perform surgery. You don't need surgery."

Six months after that, my symptoms continued to worsen, extending into my arms and beyond. I finally saw a neurosurgeon, who ordered an updated MRI. It showed a herniation at C4-C5 that is contacting and slightly indenting my spinal cord, along with stenosis. He deemed surgery necessary. I am beyond ready to get it over with, stet!

• I am new to this site and did not see how I can reply to user "bm1374" (except sending a separate email). We both have surgery dates on Jan. 8. I have adult degenerative scoliosis, which started as a couple of herniated discs, progressing to stenosis, spondylolisthesis, and a curve that has been progressing rapidly over the past 2 years. I will be having spinal fusion of L3-S1, possibly more, along with cages, etc. I am also a competitive rower. Ironically, I can row 10K meters with minimal discomfort (although the curve has totally messed up my form and balance), but I can't walk more than a quarter of a mile without losing all feeling in my feet and experiencing a fair amount of pain. I think I'm as ready as I can be for the surgery. I'm at the point of just wanting to get past it, so I can slowly but surely get ready to resume rowing in 2020. Best wishes to all who have the misfortune of needing a forum like this!

advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.