advertisement
advertisement

Swelling post op l4/l5 discectomy

Hi all: wondering how long the swelling near your incision lasted? I’m 10 days post op and the swelling has gone down overall, but it seems that the right side of my incision swells a bit then goes down w ice and nsaids then swells again. The incision itself looks good. My steri strips are still on. But the swelling makes driving and laying on my back just a bit uncomfortable. 

I’ll call the surgeon in the morning to double check. Overall I feel ok. A bit stiff and fatigued if I’m more active during the day. I believe this is pretty common.

advertisement

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Swelling lasted a good while for me - but slowly improved over the course of 6 weeks. That was me though. 

The stiffness still persists for me in week 13. It is totally manageable and responds well to stretches and back strengthening. The less active I am (weekend) the more noticeable it is.

• advertisement
  • grtgrandma1aneeda70- I am driving. I was cleared by the surgeon to drive but no more then 20 minutes.  I'm only driving to get to and from work.  I am a therapist so have a very sedentary job which I was cleared to go back to. First day is today, so I did two "test drives" this weekend to see how it was. Fine expect for the bit about my incision being a bit sore due to the swelling.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • First day back was ok. I saw 6 clients (normally I would see 8). I was prrrty fatigued by the end of the day. Spent most of it either standing, leaning against a wall, or laying down on my couch whenever I didn’t have clients. My incision is a bit swollen again but no pain or anything.

• advertisement
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.