advertisement

In this Discussion

advertisement

Revision Microdiscectomy L4-5 left

I am 57 year old male and, I am scheduled for my third back surgery tomorrow. I herniated L3-4 and L4-5 disc, right side when I was 21 and had my first surgery. The pain in my right leg reduced weekly but, it took nine months to a year before it completely stopped. At 27, I had a Chymopapain Injection to dissolve a second herniated disc at L4-5.  Since my first back surgery I have lived with moderate lower back pain, it has NOT stopped me from living, just held me up at times. For the past 25 years I have lived without leg pain, but have had on and off pain in the lower back, at the belt section. When this would flare up I would start the noninflammatory drugs and muscle relaxers. With a week on the couch it would go away. I have been in and out of PT probably 30 too 40 times over the past 30 years. About 3 months ago I started feeling pain in my left hip and within four days it had radiated into my thigh and down my leg into the back of my calf, once again this stopped me. Had an MRI and found L4-5 left herniated, Foraminotomy L5-S1 left. Doctor also said, " You have degenerative disc and arthritis." Well, I am a believer in not letting this get me down. Has anyone looked into disc replacement? 

advertisement

Comments

• challengercchallenger Posts: 1,289
    edited 07/09/2019 - 10:08 AM

My doctor said no when asked because I had pretty much all of the above & had already had three surgeries. They are always advancing technology so it is worth a conversation. Good luck & hope you get the answers you are looking for. Feel well soon

Sign In or Join Us to comment.