advertisement
advertisement

5 days post op ACDF c5/c6

I am a 47 year old f had an ACDF completed on 12/17 on my c5/c6. My surgeon said the surgery went great. I immediately felt relief from the intense arm pain I had felt for the last two years. However, I am having great difficullty swallowing, sleeping, and almost like a crick in my neck on the left hand posterior side. I had an allergic reaction to the steri strips. My head feels super heavy almost like a bobble head doll. Is this all normal? I was not given a brace. I was told I had very few limitations (no lifting over 5 lbs, I can turn but not sharply, etc.) I keep googling trying to find someone who might have a similar experience but all videos seem to show a brace or collar of some sort. I tried searching this forum, but can't even figure that one out. TIA

advertisement

Comments

• I did report the allergic reaction, he confirmed it was an allergic reaction and had me remove the strips. I have my post op 1/8/19. I had no pain in my arm immediately after the surgery, but today I noticed a little in my right arm. I also have pain a the base of my neck, near my trap on the left side. Please tell me this is all normal and will go away in time. I am having a really hard time swallowing too. I hate to sound like a whiner, but this stinks. I don't sit still well and I feel like I have so much to do, but can't. TIA

• advertisement
  • challengercchallenger Posts: 1,289
    edited 07/09/2019 - 10:42 AM

I had ACDF C4-C7 It took me around 3-4 weeks to feel what I considered somewhat normal, the swallowing is most likely to the breathing tube and swelling due to surgery, As far as braces go, the only time I had to wear one was in the car. I don't think anyone on this forum thinks you are a whiner, everybody's recovery is different and you really don't know what to expect until you go through with it, I really think if you give it a couple of weeks you will see a big difference, in the meantime try not to concentrate on all the bad stuff, find something, anything to get your mind off of it and yes I know that can be hard. I hope this helps a little bit. Have a great day, feel better soon and have a very MERRY CHRISTMAS 

Sign In or Join Us to comment.