advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.

This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

See the Veritas Health sites: Spine-health.com, Arthritis-health.com, Sports-health.com, Pain-health.com for medical articles and videos.
advertisement

good news

i havent been to this forum in a while but i thought i'd return to share good news. A year ago I herniated L4 &5 and it progressed to a point that i had to lay flat for any relief after walking or standing for any period of time. I had PT which didnt help. After suffering 6 months, i started googling obsessively out of desperation. What started to turn things around for me was: laying on a heating pad (electric, not moist) for 2 hrs at night while watching tv/reading and getting a  foam pad that fit within the curve of my lower back, to prevent it from "flattening". I also lifted NOTHING heavy, no squatting or crouching. If i dropped something, it stayed there!. I did this for months and slowly, VERY slowly ( 5-6 more months?) i recovered. I heard that if the pain lasts 3-6 months that you need shots or surgery, but i was afraid of both. i basically traeted my back with extreme TLC, used naproxen sparingly, and i did eventually heal. I just wanted to return with positive news and to wish you all good luck.

advertisement

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • keephope, love your username :). And good for you!!! That is awesome news! I had a fusion of L5/S1 about a year and a half ago and recently started having severe pain in that area which scares me because I know a fusion can stress the discs above it. I heat and ice a lot but it's too painful to lay on my back. PT helps but just gives comfort for that day. I just had piriformis injections and see my wonderful PM team on January 3 and hopefully they can figure this out. But anyway, soooo happy for you and take it easy strengthening that back again. 

• advertisement
  • You healed or you just stopped feeling pain?

• Good news but I just wonder if you can exercise.

To me if I can’t even ride a recumbent bike, or use an elliptical or rowing machine, etc. (which I cannot, unfortunately) without back pain, thigh pain, scrotal pain amplifying and going thru the roof then that means my body is currently in a broken state rather than in a recovery or recovering state.

I’m curious if you’ve tried to exercise and if so if it triggers any pain. 

• Good for you!!  It's always great to hear success stories.

• advertisement
  • I just checked back. to L4_L5: No, I am no longer exercising. Im scared! I hope to return at some point but i dont want to risk it. I take VERY good care of my back now. Last week i had some slight lower back ache, so i started sleeping with the lower back support pad, heating it every night, and in 3 days pain was gone. The first time around, i didnt listen to my body. If i exercise again, it wont be on a machine. I'll use small free weights. The machines you mentioned are all really rough on the back.  To Ryanneedshelp: I cant get another MRI, so i'll never know what is actually occuring in my back, but i have no more sciatic pain. Its most likely that the disc material retreated or was re-absorbed just enough to not impinge on the sciatic nerve.

• and good luck to you Joanne!

advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.