advertisement
advertisement

Pain in battery area and low back

Hello,

I've had my SCS for 3 yrs now and overall its been a great experience.  I couldn't live without it . The pain relief it provides is phenomenal.  Lately,  I'm experiencing pain down the left side of my back and around the area of my battery pack.  I have visited my pain management dr and he said nothing was wrong except I am very thin and it could just be rubbing on chairs,  when I lie down etc. This is far more painful to the point its making me nauseous,  I  have a migraine, and can't get the pain under control.  Anyone else experience this? Most exercise tends to aggravate it as well.  Any ideas? Thanks 

advertisement

Comments

• Sorry to hear abou it. I've been considering a trial, actually be pushed into it by doctor, therapist who works for doctor, and family.  I'm certain if I had this I would have battery pain. However, I am considering a pain pump which is much larger.  I would opt to have it in my belly.  I have very trigger point and there's nowhere in my back that it could go without being painful.

• Jerome001Jerome001 Cocoa Beach, FloridaPosts: 259

When I had an SCS I had it moved from the back to the abdomen because there was no "cushion" - I was slender in those days - so it was very painful to drive or sit for long. Moving to the abdomen did eliminate that pain.

• advertisement
  • @Marlena I'm also quite thin. The battery from my first SCS unit was relatively large and causing me discomfort. I even had surgery to revise the position of the battery. This didn't make a huge difference. I later had the next generation system implanted, and the battery was half the size of my original unit. Although I still occasionally have pain where my battery is implanted, the smaller unit has made it much more comfortable for me. You might check with your doctor to see if a smaller battery is available to replace your current unit.

• I'm so sorry to hear about the pain you're experiencing and I can 100% relate! I've had my SCS since 2016 and everything was OK until recently. I started to experience pain and swelling around the battery site about a year after having it implanted. It's always been a little uncomfortable because of the placement, but nothing like the recent pain! PM doc says it's fine, but I feel like something's not quite right! I hate the thought of not having the pain relief it provides, but this is getting to be too much to tolerate. Did your insurance company cover the cost of the surgery to implant a smaller battery? I have Cigna and they didn't cover much of the initali surgery, can't imagine they'll cover the cost of implanting a smaller battery! Also, has anyone had an MRI since having the SCS implanted? It seems as though no radiology facility is comfortable doing an MRI on a SCS patient. Just trying to get some answers!            Thanks, Melila

• I've had a SCS since early 2013. It does cause back pain if I lean back onto a hard, non-padded surface; but in the car I put an extra pillow (couch style square) behind my back and I also sit on a lumbar-support pillow.  It causes a lot less pain since I started putting the pillow behind me when sitting.  

I am not allowed to have MRIs with the implant.  I've had to had CT scans either with or without dye, depending on the location, ever since it was put in.  Supposedly there are new stimulators that have been released recently that are MRI-compatible -- so when I have to get it replaced, I hope to get one of those next time.

It does do wonders for the pain and CRPS (RSD) I've had in my left foot since 2010. I totally love it, and don't know how I could have been functional without it!  

• advertisement
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.