advertisement
advertisement

Scatica issues

Hi there, I'm a 21 year old student at the University of Hawaii and since the beginning of December I've been having sciatic pain. On December 10th, I went to urgent care because I wanted to make sure it was just sciatica (I'm still waiting to get into a primary care). The doctor treated it like sciatica with a round of low dose steroids and muscle relaxers (didn't take the muscle relaxers after the first one, it made me feel way too bad) and a torodol shot. The shot helped for about 3 days, but thats about it. I read to keep active and stretch daily to help it. I always do yoga every morning, even before this started, I walk to and from class every day, and hike and swim very often. I have been putting up with the pain, but the 2nd week of January it started to get unbearable to the point where I couldn't get out of bed, severe radiating pain down my leg, walking with a hard limp, and have to bed over slightly because of my lower back pain. I gave it a couple days, couldn't get into any primary care because of the new patient registration taking about 4 weeks, and so the school doctor told me to go to the ER. The physician assistant said I didn't have any neurological deficits in my leg and to go to a massage therapist. I did about a week ago, and he did a massage on my lower back and did facial therapy on my left leg to move the hip socket around. it helped a little and I took note on the home stretches he told me to do. The pain is a little less severe, but there's still a lot of pain, my whole leg feels very stiff, and my whole back is very tense and painful. Also today I noticed some possible atrophy. I know this probably isn't a very accurate way of measuring it, but when I pinched the skin on my left calf, there is noticeably more skin compared to when you pinch my right. It feels overall weaker, too. I think I have about 2 more weeks left before my new patient app gets approved, but I'm starting to get nervous. I'm wondering if theres anything I should do.

Thank you

advertisement

Comments

• challengercchallenger Posts: 1,190
    edited 07/11/2019 - 2:39 PM

Sciatica can be very painful as you know. I would contact the ER and see if you can get a referral. Good luck and let us know what you find out

• thanks a bunch. i’ve also noticed a slight bump in my left lumbar region. I reached out to an orthopedic doctor on the island. 

• advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.