advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Almost off Opiates

Comments

• nutcase007nnutcase007 United StatesPosts: 953

Joel1Q - Thanks for your updates.  The reality for some of us is that we will likely need to balance some level of medication and pain (hopefully manageable) the rest of our lives.

I'm sure you are aware that if you plan to reduce your daily amount of gabapentin, make sure you don't taper too fast.  As for the pain fog, I start getting it at 1200mg a day.

• Joel1QJJoel1Q Posts: 332
    edited 06/12/2019 - 12:35 AM

Yes I do, thanks Nut!   I think it’ll be a while before I can stomach another wean.   :)

L3-S1 ALIF Feb 2018 and 

L3-S1 PLIF Laminectomy and Fusion March 2018

• advertisement
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,482

Joel1Q

Thank you for the update on your progress. I hope you find the best treatments for you.
    On the forum, there are a few other members going through the same thing. If you don't mind, I will bookmark your post above for other members to read.

Take care and let us know how you are doing.

Sandra
    Veritas-Health Forum Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical Story  
  • Thanks for the update Joel. I'm still at 10mg oxy. I had planned to be off completely by now but had a set back and I just can't tolerate the pain without just a little relief at night. My primary who oversees my meds suggested I just stay where I'm at, it's tempting but I still want to see what life is like without opiates. My roommate had foot surgery so I've had to pick up the slack and do all the driving which adds to my pain levels. I'm learning to pace and space but it's so easy to overdo and add up the sleepless nights which increase pain, vicious cycle. 

Anyway, good job in weaning! Like you, I'd like to try the gabapentin next but that's getting into fantasy land territory for me right now. We do what we can, right?! Day at a time. 

joanne2 - On my three journeys of coming off of oxycodone (because of three nasty ACDFs over 12 years), for me, the worst part was getting below 10mg a day.  I found myself cutting 5mg pills in half (doctor advise) to get more does over the day without getting over 10mg a day.  Multiple times, after I thought I was maintaining a reduced dose, I had to go up a small uptick for a couple of days.  After multiple years of oxycodone use, the body is truly addicted to the oxycodone (speaking from my own experience). 

Please note, the following is NOT medical advice, just my experience. 

This last journey for me coming off of oxycodone was a little more manageable this time because I was taking CBD Oil.  It might be totally in my head, but it sure worked out a lot better without near as severe withdraw symptoms.  Just my experience....
  • advertisement
  • Thanks nutcase, that's exactly how I've gotten this far is cutting  the 5's in half but now I've been saving 10 for bedtime because I have such a terrible time sleeping. I suppose that's not the right way to wean so when I get through this flare up I'll go with your suggestion. I know there will be times like  now when I need it for flare ups. I have SI dysfunction and have to be vigilant about how I move or I can spend weeks at PT getting my piriformis and pelvic floor muscles out of spasm. I suppose I will always deal with this. It's frustrating but it's life with chronic pain. I've tried an SI belt and it hurts more than helps. Thanks for sharing your experience! 

joanne2 - I know it is my experience and I guessing it is similar of most other people with chronic pain, life is a balancing act.  It seems like each of us has to find out what works for ourselves.  For me, oxycodone came with its own negative side effects.  I do NOT in any way advocate the push that all people should get off of all opioids.  If it had not been for opioids, I would not have been able to work for 17 years before my first ACDF.

nutcase

It is a balancing act for each of us. And what you said is true, we have to find our ways. Like the repeated words, everyone is different. The way I did it may not work for you or the next person.
    To me, it's so important to be your own advocate.

Sandra
  • Nutcase, I too have had awful digestive system side effects with oxy, that's ONE of the reasons I want to get off completely. And I really do appreciate your input. You too , Sandra, I am so grateful for all of you! I know some people can't function without opiates and I totally respect that!  But I know they will eventually shut down my digestive system so the choice is made for me. 

joanne

I believe all of my digestive problems have come from not just oxy but all of the opiates I have been on. The worst being mesenteric ischemia in my lower intestines. That will never go away and there is no treatment for it. So, like you, the choice was made for me.

Sandra
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.