advertisement

In this Discussion

advertisement

Spasms after spinal fusion surgery

My husband back spinal fusion almost 2 weeks ago. He seems to be having uncontrollable leg spasms at night when he is sleeping and is scared he is doing damage to his back. Has anyone experienced anything like this? He is taking flexiril. Any suggestions?

advertisement

Comments

• WLLadyWLLady Ontario CanadaPosts: 844
    edited 07/23/2019 - 1:08 PM

hi Welcome to Veritas Health Forum

have you contacted his surgeon?  i had horrible cramps after surgery-i had 10 levels fused and because of the sudden decompression of the nerves to my legs i had horrible spasms because the muscles didn't know how to react, and the nerves were always firing because they were healing. i ended up getting nerve drugs (neurontin) that helped a little but also got put onto brewers yeast tablet and vitamin B.  Apparently the brewers yeast has a ton of protein and vitamin B in them, and honestly they helped me better than the neurontin for the muscles.  the neurontin really helped the nerve pain.  i was also taking baclofen (like flexeril) at the time, and it seemed to get me through.  my spasms lasted about 2 weeks after starting on the brewers yeast/vit b.  it was such a relief when they ended!  but please please talk with his surgeon before doing anything!   

Sign In or Join Us to comment.