advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

cronic numbness

I had a spinal fusion surgery 2 years ago. Immediately after surgery my left foot was numb. Surgeon said it would go away. Well it did not and the numbness increased in my left leg. Apparently i suffered nerve damage and there is nothing to be done.   Has anyone else suffered this leg numbness? 

Does anyone have any information on a possible cure?

I am exercise ing the leg in pool  and with stretchestretchess.

advertisement

Comments

• nutcase007nnutcase007 United StatesPosts: 953
    MATT2374 - Have you informed your surgeon?  Sometimes osteophytes, spurs, other conditions develop as a result of the surgery.  After my second ACDF, I had an osteophyte grow that caused issues until it was removed as part of my third ACDF. 

I'd expect that your surgeon or other doctor would want updated imaging.
  • My story is similar to yours. I woke after surgery with my right thigh numb as well as across my lower back. My doctor also said it would go away but it’s been two years now!

• advertisement
  • BitzicatBBitzicat PhoenixPosts: 74

My surgery was two and a half years ago.  I woke up numb almost completely below the waist; it has reduced to my left thigh, butt cheek and vagina.  I recently had an EMG which showed trapped nerves. There is nothing that can be done.  It took my surgeon 18 months to admit the surgery caused it.  Now, it turns out I am not completely fused and don’t know what my next step should be.

• My Surgeon also admitted the numbness was a unfortunate side effect of the surgery.  I am really concerned because it feels like its getting worse and may eventually effect my mobility. 

My back is better since surgery but I still have some pain.i went to a pain management Doctor to see if there was anything he could do.  The only recommendation he had was a spinal stimulator which is another surgery that I am hesitant to do.

• nutcase007nnutcase007 United StatesPosts: 953
    MATT2374 - I ask the question again, have you had any updated imaging?  As @challenger wrote above, if your surgeon does not want to do any imaging, it is likely time to get a second opinion.  In two years post-op, a lot can happen.
  • advertisement
  • dilauroddilauro ConnecticutPosts: 12,609
    edited 06/20/2019 - 1:32 PM

@MATT2374

That is a long time to still have the nerve situation.  At this point, in my opinion I would ask for an EMG/NCS.

That can determine to condition of your nerves.   

I have a partial drop foot and several nerves from my right leg down that are permanently damaged.   That was the result of waiting too long to have lumbar surgery after a disc was impinging a nerve root.

Take a look at  Understanding Neuropathy

advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.