advertisement
advertisement

Bone protein..what is it?

instead of habing a bone graft, my dr used bone protein to stimulate bone growth. Have never heard of this 

advertisement

Comments

• WLLadyWLLady Ontario CanadaPosts: 844

hi CPinkston,

This is what my surgeon explained to me when he told me he was going to use it in my long fusion.  It's called "bone morphogenic protein" and it's a small protein that stimulates the growth of bone very efficiently.  it's a hormone that is normally produced by the body where bone is growing, usually in the endplates of bones in kids when they are growing or in bone that has been damaged or is under load (like weight bearing and doing weight lifting exercises etc).  researchers and doctors found that when they put bone graft into a spot where they want bone to grow, like they do in fusions, and then use the BMP (bone morphogenic protein) with that graft-usually they impregnate the graft bone directly with the BMP then it causes the cells to lay bone down where the BMP is so that the fusion grows bone faster and in the local area.  it's to help the bone grow exactly where they want it to and faster than it would without the BMP.

• Very interesting...thank you for the info...Does this mean the growing time is faster than what it would be if bones graft from the hip was used? what is the healing time for all of this to then be completely done? 

• advertisement
  • challengercchallenger Posts: 1,182
    edited 07/15/2019 - 11:34 AM

CPinkston- after my first fusion surgery doctors said I was completely fused at my 3 month check up, after my second fusion surgery it was at my 6 month checkup that they decided I was completely fused, the reason that most surgeons have started using donor bone is that they were finding patients were having more hip pain than back pain after surgery, this made total recover time much longer, I have talked to people that had fusions with hip bone saying that their hip hurt for 2 years afterwards. 

• WLLadyWLLady Ontario CanadaPosts: 844
    edited 02/20/2019 - 12:03 PM

my surgeon said it's like breaking a bone and having it heal....at least 6 weeks, and then it gets progressively stronger up to 2 years post surgery.....they still need to use the bone graft of some kind, there's artificial bone, or donor bone or bits they take out of the patient (hip etc but hip donor sites seem to hurt a long long time for many people post surgery)-there has to be bone there to seed the addition of new bone, but what they did in my surgery was removed facets and i had a few laminectomies, so that bone got removed, ground, mixed with the BMP and then put back in where they wanted the fusion to grow.  They also basically roughed up the bone that was left in there on my vertebrae (like sanding two pieces of wood you want to glue together to make them rough) and put the BMP impregnanted bone bits right onto the roughed up bone.  seems to have worked, my xrays at 3 months showed i was fusing well!

advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.