advertisement
advertisement

3 Months Post Op...pain is back!?

Comments

• Thanks David, I’m trying to be positive with continued patience. Just tired of being in pain and putting my life on hold. Thanks for your response. Joseph

• I am 3 months post surgery from L5-S1 ALIF/PLIF and still experiencing a constant achy feeling around the surgery site.  Was told that the pain achy feeling could be there for months as all the muscles begin to rebuild.  I just started returning to some activity with my physical therapist guidance and it has not been comfortable....its frustrating as I want to be "normal" but know that won't happen for many months. I try to stay positive with the help of my physical therapist who is super encouraging.  My advice is to really stay positive.

• advertisement
  • Joseph, how are you ? I hope everything is ok, wish you luck

• Hi everyone, back with an update. So had a nerve conduction study, EMG test done, they found no damage however patellar reflex test rated at 4+ as no response on the right side. Neurologist basically said will have to wait for MRI on May 28th to see what’s going on. She also mentioned Meralgia paresthetica for my right leg pain, but this only started when I awoke from surgery which didn’t make sense to me. 

Thanks for all your thoughts and kind words, I’m trying to stay positive and am just waiting for MRI at the end of the month with a follow up appt with neurosurgeon on June 3rd. Until then just trying to manage pain, do stretching exercises and continue massage therapy.

Will update when I have more news. 

Take Care

Joseph 

• Joseph

Thank's for the update, I hope everything goes well

Chip

• advertisement
  • *Update

Hi Everyone,

So had appt with neurosurgeon this morning, he reviewed recent MRI and stated that although there has been some changes there was nothing he can do further. Explaining that there is no evidence of disc herniation in any other vertebrae and the disc previously herniated he completely removed with no evidence of nerve compression. Which is great news, however he could tell I’m still in a lot of pain, doesn’t explain loss of reflexes and feeling in left foot. He has referred me to a pain management clinic as well as for cortisone injections. 

Anyone here able to shed some light on what pain management clinics do? I’ve heard it can take over a year to get into here in Ontario. What am I supposed to do in the meantime? I can currently only stand, sit for 20 min then need to lie down to minimize pain. Buttocks and lower back still very soar, still not able to return to work and it’s been 7 months since surgery! I know things could always be worse however my level of frustration has gone through the roof!

• I had microdiscectomy on L4-5 L5-S1 on Feb 28. I was almost pain free(only feel uncomfortable on my right leg when lay down on my stomach).Somehow the pain came back two days ago. I'm going to wait a few days to see if it goes away or will have to talk to the doctor again.

• *update

Hello everyone, so after I saw surgeon he was not impressed with results from MRI. Although in his words there is nothing else he can do for me. Referred me for epidural cortisone injection and pain management clinic.

My physio and RMT also went over results of recent MRI stating that progression of bilateral lumbar stenosis had progressed and annular Tare above surgery L4-L5 disc. 

Still not able to work after 8 months post op decompression surgery. Physio therapist doesn’t want me doing much with tare but want to lose more weight and strengthen core muscles.

I’m down 21 pounds since surgery but could lose Another 30 lbs to bring me down to 200lb I’m sure would help.

Really frustrated and would like advice on how epidural cortisone shots help 1st time or have heard it may take multiple injections to feel a difference.

I know it’s not the answer but some period of relief would be amazing.

Thanks for listening.

Joseph 

• Joseph

That's great news about the weight, stay with it, I know it's hard. I have had many epidurals, some work the first one and at times I have had to have a series of three to feel relief.

If your present surgeon says there is nothing else he can do you may need to get another opinion, sometimes a fresh set of eyes can be a very good thing.

Chip

• *Update. Got into pain clinic today, Dr had me scheduled for epidural cortisone injection for Aug 28th, recommendation of purchasing a inversion table. Also gave me a shot to try and freeze area around my S1 nerve. He believes the scar tissue from surgery has attached onto my nerve and is irritating it. Doesn’t believe a second surgery would help but just cause more damage. After I left the clinic my phone rang and there was a cancellation and am now scheduled to have epidural injection tomorrow! 

Fingers crossed this brings relief as August 16th will be one year anniversary of off work and life put on hold. Anyone else have experience with this injection? How long it takes to work and how long does it last for? I know everyone is different and results vary but would like to hear other people’s stories. Thanks!

Joseph 

advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.