advertisement
advertisement

back to back injections in the neck

Had an MRI back in August 2018 for my neck and showed stenosis, whereas the C-4 level according to the MRI was obliterated!   In other words the spinal area is being choked off right at that level.  Had an injections at the C-7 T-1 level on the 22 Jan then  ago at 13 Feb at the C-56 level.  They want to do another round next week at the C-3-4  level but I am considering canceling it.  My symptoms have been bicep, tricep,  radiating pain down the left arm to the index and thumb.  That's been alleviated but I still have neck pain in the back of the neck.  I am a retired veteran who does a few hours of school bus driving for the last 3 months and just switched to a much much smaller bus that's a lot more comfortable.  That may be a  source of stress to the back of the neck.  I am trying to make it to May till the end of school.  I started therapy Monday for 3 days a week and did it back June through August and did me very very well for my ROM and elimination of the bicep. tricep, and radiating pain.   I just don't know if another round will do anything much more because the neck pain is still there after the first two rounds back to back?  Had 2 opinions and they both recommend surgery somewhere along the line in the very near future.  

advertisement

Comments

• I hope you've seen an Orthopedic Surgeon and Neurosurgeon about your MRI results. Get referrals from your Family Dr. Hope it works out.

• babblesbbabbles Posts: 7
    edited 02/24/2019 - 11:21 AM

To be a little more clearer, I have seen two different neurosurgeons from two different medical facilities within the last 2 months and both opinions were about the same  . I just don't think another round of injections will do any more than what it's done, temporarily fix what's wrong!.  :) I do realize I am probably going to have to have surgery soon.  From what I am reading from other posts, seems like people have more problems post surgery years  down the line.  Oh, thank you for the quick replies!

• advertisement
  • Jerome001Jerome001 Cocoa Beach, FloridaPosts: 259

Yes, fusions sometimes begat additional fusions in the adjoining levels but my experience was several years between the additional fusions. If you get the fusion now, what are the chances of returning to a somewhat normal life after recovery? Do you expect your quality of life to improve after the fusion but understand there may be a need for more fusions at some point? What is more important to you? What is your priority? As so many continually say, spinal fusion is a personal decision based upon your circumstances. Whatever your choice, I hope you have better days ahead. Jerome

• Thank you and Semper Fi!  I am going to cancel my appointment for the next injection. I just don't think another will do much more than what it has done thus far.  I go back to see the neuro on the 19th of March and will probably move that appointment up.  I will ask about getting an MRI done with this office to see if it differs from the first one and or where I am structurally wise right now.   Thanks for all the replies!

• babblesbbabbles Posts: 7
    edited 02/28/2019 - 8:15 AM

I have an appointment with the neurosurgeon tomorrow and I will discuss surgery options.  I have written down a list of questions including why disk fusion versus disk replacement?  Doesn't fusion limit ROM?  I am still getting tingling in the right thumb and index finger  despite back to back injections and the pain in the back and right side of the neck is really constant.  Like others have said, with that nerve being pinched so bad like it is and obliterated at that level, might want to get things done sooner than later.  

• advertisement
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.