advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Steroid Injection Success Stories (or Failures)

jskijjski Posts: 2

Hi all. I’m 6 weeks post op a L5/S1 discectomy. The first couple weeks post op were pretty rough with no relief of my leg pain but then I had a solid week where I had improved greatly and then ended up going way back downhill again with pre op pain levels and new numbness. My surgeon thinks I’ve reherniated so we tried a steroid injection yesterday and I’m feeling pretty good (still have pain but pretty mild and tolerable for the most part). I’m just wondering how successful everyone has been with steroid injections with or without surgery, pre op, post op- anytime really! Did they work at all? Not one bit? If they worked, how long did they last? 

Just wondering if this is too good to be true how much better I’m feeling currently and if there’s a chance of it giving me somewhat permanent relief to help me avoid a second surgery.

Thanks in advance!

advertisement

Comments

• challengercchallenger Posts: 1,253
    edited 07/16/2019 - 10:10 AM

jski

Welcome to the Veritas Health Forum

Learn How to Use the Forum - Take the System Tutorial

i have had so many injections over the years that i have lost count, i was able to put off surgery for 31/2 years before they quit working, finally had to have surgery at that level. i have a l5-s1 herniation now that i receive injections for now, so far they are working. i am surprised that your surgeon has not orderded a mri to check you and make sure you reherniated. good luck and keep us posted.

chip

challenger
    Veritas-Health Moderator

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,480

jski

It is also common to have nerve pain after surgery while the nerves are waking up. So maybe you did not re-herniate. But it will take a MRI to find out.
    Like Chip. I have had so many steroid injections I have lost count. And only one has worked. But everyone is different. I hope this works out for you and you will not need another surgery.

Sandra
    Veritas-Health Forum Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical Story  
  • advertisement
  • My esi worked wonders for the pain I feel first thing in the morning but I didn't get rid of the annoying pain throughout the day... I'd say it worked but it also increased the numbness I felt at night. So the throbbing pain was gone and replaced with a burning pain.... but it got me to be able to do pt and exercise so it was a win for me no surgery as of yet. 

• dilauroddilauro ConnecticutPosts: 12,609
    edited 07/15/2019 - 7:28 AM

After you have been on this site for a while, you will find a mix of responses from people who have had ESI.  Some get positive results, some no difference and then there are some that indicate they had more problems after the injection.  

Take a look at these medical articles and videos   All About Spinal Injections

advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.