There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

Legs get electrical shocks causing jerking and kicking when sitting.

My boyfriend has either sciatica or periformis problems.  He will not go to the doctor so we dont know for sure. I am hoping that there will be others that have had the same experiences as he does and it will convince him to go.  He is a very hard worker. we live on a small farm so he is constantly busy with one thing or another.  The man never sleeps more than 4 hrs a night.  When he comes in and sits down, it takes about 10-15 minutes and it starts. His leg (usually one or the other) will start jumping and kicking. sometimes as high as 2 feet. He has no control over this. I guess he says he can feel it coming on, like a tingling and then it just kicks. Its like a bolt of electricity. It is not restless leg syndrom. It only happens when he relaxes his legs. sits down. When he lays down, it stops.  I rub his calves sometimes and hope he doesn't kick me. He says the sensation is on the top of the calf and i can rub the right spot and make the sensation happen.  He is constantly in pain with the sciatica or periformis muscle.  He does stretches and we put heat on it, but it seldom gets better. Please help if anyone has any info on this. 



  • nutcase007nnutcase007 United StatesPosts: 953

    These symptoms can be caused by many things.  He really needs to get some diagnostic work.

  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,480

    hello stonefarmer1!
    please clink on the welcome link below for more information on the forum.
    welcome to spine-health
    all new members should take the system tutorial

    like nutcase007 said, this could be anything. and without the diagnostic testing, such as a mri, he will not know the cause or how to treat it. also use ice packs, they help.

    take care and keep us posted.

    Veritas-Health Forum Moderator
    Please read my  Medical Story  
  • advertisement
  • I agree with both of you.  I am at my witts end with him.  I know he needs to see someone and have tests done.  Its just very strange that I have not come across these symptoms in my reading everything I have.  Maybe he will take it a little more serious now.  thank you,.

  • You must be a terrific girlfriend. Be careful you don't get kicked unconscious. Sounds like you need to be a bit more insistant he seek medical attention. I too have suffered these electrical spasms for lack of a better word. Sounds neurological but there are no Drs. here!

Sign In or Join Us to comment.