advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Where to next

Hi there, I have a herniation at L4/L5 from a fall in August 2018. I thought it was muscular for the first month, then went to docs who thought it was a herniation. I kept to normal activities till October,, trying excercises which in retrospect probably made it worse. I ground to a halt in October, and now spend a lot of my time lying on the floor getting up and walking around as much as I can. MRI revealed disc herniation. There is a slow improvement, interspersed with flare ups. I am on 30/500 co codamol x2 4x a day. Doc prescribed methylcobramol for muscle spasms but this has given me stomach pains. I am trying everything to try and avoid intervention/surgery as most of the people I know who have had either have ended up either the same or worse. Daily pain is manageable as long as I am lying down but I know l need to keep moving 'motion is lotion' my physio tells me. However excercises cause flare ups which can last several days. I am trying: high dose vit c, magnesium, vitd, nattokinase,  glutathione with lipoic acid, vit b complex and occasionally an infra red lamp. What I definitely know helps: heat pad, cold pack and tens. As of today I'm having a flare up which makes me feel like maybe intervention is best, on my better days I feel it's best to use conservative treatment especially as I read that 2 years down the line the majority of those who have had intervention fare no better than those who have waited it out. Comments would be appreciated.

advertisement

Comments

• Alibongo, the majority of members who join, then have surgery and have a successful surgery, usually stop in on occasion but then normally don’t come back. No one can tell you if or when to have surgery! That’s a personal answer but ask yourself, how is your quality of life? If any nerve impingement, then you risk that becoming permanent. How is your employer dealing with all of this? So many questions, very few answers. But again, surgery is your choice........David

DavidG

Veritas-Health Forum Moderator

• challengercchallenger Posts: 1,253
    edited Today 2:45 PM

Alibongo

Welcome to the Veritas Health Forum

Learn How to Use the Forum - Take the System Tutorial

After my first surgery many years ago, I was basically pain free and did anything I wanted to do for 13 years, including being an auto mechanic, I reinjured myself again because of a nasty fall, but even then it was a different level.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Chip

challenger
    Veritas-Health Moderator

• advertisement
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,479

hello alibongo!

please click on the welcome link and tutorial below for more information on the forum.
    welcome to spine-health
    all new members should take the system tutorial

what davidg said above is so true. members come on here for answers, support, etc. and they usually get it. then they move on. there are times when i wonder how someone is doing that we don't hear from. but that's the nature of a forum. as far as surgery, it's like putting a line in the sand, how many lines are you going to cross?

take care and keep us posted on your decisions. 

Sandra
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical Story  
  • Thank you that is helpful, a point I hadn't considered, that once people recover they tend to just move on with their lives. Success stories are so good to hear. My quality of life is obviously not good but I am fortunate in that I have been a homemaker and the children are grown now so I am not under pressure to get back to work. And drawing lines is helpful too. 

• Just an update. So good news, after 9 months of spending most of my time lying on the floor, sudden improvement! Day by day I was able to spend longer on my feet without pain. This was slow at first, I think I was the only one who noticed to start with, but towards the end it was exponential. Until after 6 weeks I was pain free, without intervention, I definitely feel blessed to be where I am now. I had to wean myself off the painkillers, cutting out half a tablet every 3-4 days. Of course all my muscles have burst into life again resulting in various aches and pains elsewhere but small price to pay for getting my life back. Hope this encourages someone. 

• advertisement

Alibongo

Thank you so much for the update. You can here wanting a good news story and you found it, yours. I will bookmark this discussion for other members looking for a good story.
    Keep us posted on how you are doing.

Sandra
  • Is a herniated disc the same as a bulging disc? Thanks

Found this for you:

You may think a bulging disc is the same as a herniated disc, but there is a difference. With a herniated disc, a crack occurs in the outer layer of the disc, called the annulus. ... While it is more common to have a bulging disc than a herniated disc, a herniated disc is more likely to be painful.

Let me know if you need more.

Sandra
  • ^^^

Many thanks

advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.