advertisement
advertisement

L5S1 suddenly 2nd surgery next week- a little apprehensive

Dear all,

The news I had dreamed about hearing suddenly came: a new surgeon seemed very confident he can operate on me again. But it is making me quite nervous, as I was told earlier that it would be too dangerous to do. 

It’s about a lower back surgery -L5S1- hernia. Previous surgery was 4 months ago a microdiscectomy. MRI 2 months post-op shows bulging and scar tissue. Previous doctors explained that re-operating would be risky, that more scar tissue could form and that they wouldn’t advise it. 

Now a neurosurgeon in the same clinic is of the opinion that he can definitely help me, remove the bulging, no problems expected. He claimed that surgeons use scar tissue as an excuse (they want to say the surgery was a success, scar tissue is just bad luck, not their problem).  But this surgeon is older and more experienced and he said that the relation between scar tissue and pain is not clear. He feels confident the ongoing nerve pain comes from the bulging. 

Of course my first response was very excited and happy someone can help me. Now I have spoken to some relatives and they are concerned it is someone who takes risks with my future and they are wondering how it can be so different from what other surgeons said. I can understand that point of view- my judgement may not be clear because someone is dangling a big juicy hope carrot in front of me. 

Any input would be really helpful, thank you! The surgery is planned for next week. 

Thank you 

advertisement

Comments

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 3,406

When you speak to family or friends about surgery, why is it they always tell the bad side. This happened to so and so or this happened, and it's never good!! Like Chip said, you have to have confidence in your surgeon. And at the same time be positive about all of this. Being positive will take you a long way before and after surgery.

Take care and keep us posted.

• Thank you for your quick and kind responses. You are right, it’s about trust. I am speaking to my surgeon today again. Hopefully that soothes my mind 

• advertisement
  • I hope you get all your questions answered today and have a clear mind after talking to your surgeon.

Let us know how it goes.

Chip

• After speaking to the surgeon again I will be going into surgery tomorrow with all faith. 

I have to, I had another bad day with a lot of pain this weekend and I kind of welcomed the pain this time. In a strange way it makes me feel more open to the surgery. It’s just that I have been reluctant to hope again after so many disappointments but somehow I found it in me to believe once again that this time they will be able to help me. God knows how, haha. But just riding that wave now. 

• Dormouse

Good luck with your surgery tomorrow, keep that good attitude, it will take you a long way.

When you feel up to it let us know how it is going.

Chip

• advertisement
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 3,406

Good luck tomorrow. You now have a great attitude, keep to it, it will carry over to recovery.

advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.