advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Lumbar Fusion- pseudoarthosis, 2nd surgery soon

hello! I had an XLIF at L4/L5 13 months ago. It partially fused but my hardware is loosening and I’m in tremendous pain. I’m 23 and otherwise healthy. However I’ve noticed that being vertical AT ALL causes the worst pain. If I lay down, the pain is still there but the pressure and intensity calm down. Does anyone else experience this? I can wake up almost pain free and then 20 minutes after sitting up or standing and the pain is severe. 

advertisement

Comments

• challengercchallenger Posts: 1,257
    edited Today 4:28 PM

reagannicolexo

I am sorry that you are having to deal with all of this especially at such a young age, I can somewhat understand, my first two surgeries were at 23 also, as far as your symptoms, I am the same way, when I am hurting, the only thing that makes it better is laying down, that takes the pressure off your spine.

What have the doctor's told you as far as the next step?

I know it's hard right now and you are probably thinking that it will never get better,  it can and will get better, just keep telling yourself that, the mental part can be worse than the physical part, remember you can come here to vent anytime, if this helps, after my first two surgeries, I had no problems at all for 12 years, and that was only because I took a nasty fall at work, so it is possible to live a very good life after surgery.

Chip   

challenger
    Veritas-Health Moderator

• reagannicolexo:

Hello! I also suffered a Pseudarthrosis after a fusion. Yes, it hurt while I was healing but I didn't realize the pain was because I wasn't fusing until I broke the hardware. Once I had the revision surgery it did help the specific pain I felt beforehand. I am having nerve pain but hope that is part of the healing process. Hopefully once you have the revision surgery, you will fuse completely. My surgeon did advise that I wear a brace after the second surgery. Perhaps that would be a good precaution for you?

Take care and stay strong.

Noreen

• advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.