advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.

This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

See the Veritas Health sites: Spine-health.com, Arthritis-health.com, Sports-health.com, Pain-health.com for medical articles and videos.
advertisement

3.5 Months - Post Laminectony/Sciatica

I’m 35 years old and  3.5 months out from my laminectomy and discectomy.  So far during recovery I’ve had random intermittent nerve pain on my left leg that maybe last for a minute or so but not all day.  Which was pretty okay for me for the last 2 months.  Yesterday I woke up with severe whole leg pain.  And it’s pretty intense when I sit as well.   When I do “nerve flossing” the pain shoots all the way up to my hip and lower back.  I’v been going to PT and recently filed for a re-authorization  so waiting on that which can take weeks.    I put a call into my surgeons office and have a new referral for an MRI.  I plan to schedule that today hopefully.  This is so scary to feel like things are back to how it was pre surgery to some extent.  I don’t recall doing anything to cause the disc to possibly reherniate.   I’m laying here scared out of my mind and in pain.  I have no choice but to go to work in pain too because I only have 3-4 sick days left because I put all my “eggs in one basket” so to speak with my surgery in December.   

I’m a mother of 3 and the main “bread winner” between my husband and I.   I’m at a loss.  

advertisement

Comments

• challengercchallenger Posts: 1,209
    edited 07/17/2019 - 1:43 PM

mamaAsh

It is understandable that you are scared, I know that feeling very well, this is going to be very hard to do, but try your best not to stress out too much, keep telling yourself that there is a good possibility that this is just inflammation, 

I am 5 months out of my last one, I still have bad days, even weeks

Chip

• Hi @challenger 

Thank you for your kind words of encouragement.  I’m doing my best to rest but no position seems to  alleviate  the sharp pain in my calf.   Also my nerve flossing that was helpful prior - is now causing pain in my thigh.   

Going to the pain management doctor today.  And MRI is scheduled for the 25th.  But in between I have to work and commute wichbos so difficult to do with 24/7 pain.  I’m sure you can relate.    I feel so devastated and defeated at this point.   

• advertisement
  • Hang in there, I know it's tough right now, keep telling yourself that this is just a bump in the road and it will get better

Take care and keep us posted.

Chip

• Thank you.  

As I type this- it is 4th night of straight Sciatica pain down my left leg with no position giving me relief or allowing sleep past 1am.    Walking causes throbbing in the thigh, sitting causing throbbing in the calf, laying down on my back or right side causes whole leg throbbing.  

Was prescribed Cymbalta by the pain management doctor yesterday per my request because Lyrica and Gabapentin didn’t do anything for me prior to surgery.   

I can just tell I’ve re pinched that nerve.   I’m so angry, sad and frustrated over this.  Not to mention exhausted.  

I try stretching- no relief.  Walking is better but I can’t walk all day either.   The thought of another surgery or to go on this way for another 8 months is terrifying.   

I also tried calling other doctors to get appointments for second opinions because my surgeon is so difficult to get a hold of.  However even with my PPO they want referrals????

Any advice is welcomed.  I’m just suffering at this point and at a loss.  

edited 07/17/2019 - 1:44 PM

mamaAsh

This last month I have been dealing with pretty bad sciatica in my left leg, went to the doctor last Friday and was prescribed oral course, finished this morning, right now my leg is not hurting, still a little weak, but I actually slept last night.

Chip

• advertisement
  • @challenger 

My pain management doctor almost did prescribe me a steroid pack but then last minute decided not to because I had stomach surgery previously which puts me at high risk for ulcers from that unfortunately.   

I’m on day 5 of this whole leg Sciatica flare up.  Barely sleeping at night- typically 9-1230.  Anxiety is high, and I’m struggling mentally over this.   I’m still making myself get up and walk , trying to maintain movement.   But as of today the sciatic nerve is now irritating my  piriformis muscle too.  Second day of Cymbalta- some minor side effects, makes me sleepy during the day and insomnia at night when the pain seems to be worse.   

I’m really hoping for a turn around on this soon.  Prior to Sunday, I had 2 straight months of only needing 1 ibuprofen a week.  Now it’s 3 a day and the Cymbalta.   I really just want to get back to that normal.  Not asking for pre injury normal either.  

I know, kind of a rant, but I just don’t know how else to process this.  

edited 07/17/2019 - 1:44 PM

mamaAsh

Rant all you need to, you are around other's that understand what you are going through. Ice packs have always helped me.

Chip

• Thank you for understanding @challenger and @DavidG

I’m rotating ice, and heat, stretching, and using my tens unit as well.  

I’m hoping to not get to the point of going to the ER - last time I needed to do that the doctor basically said they couldn’t do much for me and made it seem like I was a drug seeker.   But if push comes to shove I will go if I have to.   

• The neurologist I saw was a big proponent of high Lyrica doses. I told him Lyrica didn’t really help and he blamed the failure on not being on a high enough dose.

I don’t have any experience with Cymbalta. Personally if you’re really struggling and open to it I’d try Lyrica again, perhaps at an augmented dose compared to the previous dose (if that’s an option) but that’s just me. 

• @L4_L5 

Thank you for your suggestion and response.  I may if Cymbalta doesn’t help.  But aside from the side effects-  Lyrica for me after insurance and a discount coupon was almost $300 for only 1 month supply.  Which I don’t have to afford monthly unfortunately.  

advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.