advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.

This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

See the Veritas Health sites: Spine-health.com, Arthritis-health.com, Sports-health.com, Pain-health.com for medical articles and videos.
advertisement

Looking for success stories on spinal fusion : Tiger Woods

lynnemarillynnemari Posts: 16
edited 04/18/2019 - 11:02 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery

I haven’t had my surgery yet, laminectomy and fusion  L3,4. I have critical spinal stenosis, and no disk. I have been very scared of the fusion. It is minimally invasive with screws. Than someone pointed out Tiger Woods . That’s a success story I will concentrate on! 

Lynne

advertisement

Comments

• I’m curious what level Tiger is fused. I don’t think it’s public information although based on the location of his symptoms likely L4-L5 or L5-S1. He previously had at least two microdisectomies.

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,443

lynnemari

We have numerous successful stories on the forum too. Below is a link to one only it is L4-L5 but a lot of good information.

You can also go to the search box at the top right and key in what you are looking for.

• advertisement
  • Hi Lynn, saw your question. Here's what I can offer. Years of back pain. Tried all treatments. Didn't want surgery, BUT, quality of life supersedes. Had Less Invasive Robotic Assisted Back Surgery on 3/11/19 (went in through my left side) Had L3 to L4 & L4 to L5 blocks,five screws, five tulip head saddle caps that are attached to top of Screws. Two Harrington Rods one on each side that lay in the tulip heads and five Set Screws to hold it all together. Was up walking next day. Thought  I was perfect.

Two week X-Ray showed one of the set screws had come undone and was floating in my back. Had to go back in  for secound surgery  removal and replace of hardware. Doctor had to go in through my back to get out set screw and replace other hardware. Doctor claimed it was a Hardware Malfunction ? Anyhow I'm healing six weeks post first surgery and three weeks post secound surgery. 

Regret having Less Invasive Side entrance Surgery. Should have had the more common open back surgery. It's easy for Doctor to see what they need to do and get it right the first time. 

Also ask many questions, which I had. Like how many patients have to go back in for follow up surgery, and how many of your surgeries have the Doctor preformed in the last twelve months. Also what differant hardware is used during Less Invasive Side Surgery as opposed to open back surgery. Hope this helps, DavidH

• Good luck, Lynne. I had L2-3 and L 3-4 fused in 2012 via XLIF, and an L4-5 laminectomy two years ago that has failed. So I am going in for an L4-5 fusion on Monday. My neurosurgeon in El Paso uses the Mazor Rennaissance robotic platform, so I hope it goes smoothly. 

advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.