advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.

This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

See the Veritas Health sites: Spine-health.com, Arthritis-health.com, Sports-health.com, Pain-health.com for medical articles and videos.
advertisement

Infrared heating pad

Has anyone used infrared heating pad for lower back pain? Do they work better than a regular heating pad?

advertisement

Comments

• Rehabsmart, I went all out and bought an infrared amethyst mat for my daughter and I. It has been awesome. It is a very different, deep warmth that never feels hot like a regular heating pad. I turn it on to let it warm up a bit (covered with a blanket to retain heat) then lay down with the blanket over. Very relaxing. 

• I use a hot water bottle wrapped in a pillow case.

• advertisement
  • nutcase007nnutcase007 United StatesPosts: 917

@DavidG - Your comment about "don't worry about falling asleep with an electric heat pad", please make sure it is a heat pad that turns itself off.  Long periods of electric heat pads (I taking an hour or more) can create issues in parts of the body.  I fell asleep with a heat pad that did not turn itself off with heat at a moderate to high level of heat and caused additional damage to my shoulder.  I had that confirmed by a physical therapist and doctor. 

• WLLadyWLLady Ontario CanadaPosts: 1,480

@nutcase, i think david meant that by using the towel one didn't have to worry about the dangers of falling asleep on the electric heating pad. but with that said i do wish i could find one with an auto shut off feature!  my mattress pad heater has it but i cannot find any heating pad here with an auto shut off (odd, you'd think they would make them)....the other concern is having too hot a temp at the high setting.....any heating pad can be dangerous-especially with nerve damage...i found that out too-i didn't actually burn myself, but i have wide stretches of my back that are numb from the surgery so it doesn't feel the heat, and with the metal in my body i actually gave myself heat stroke one day-ended up having to go to the hospital because i had over heated myself and passed out when i stood up and my core temperature was up to the equivalent of a high fever!!!  so now i'm super careful. my best is a hot water bottle with warm-hot tap water (just make sure the lid is on right...argh), and put it on top of me (not me on top of it) and gradually it cools down, but i have to set a timer for 20 minutes.  or the towel - i never thought about microwaving it, but damp and put it in the dryer for 5 minutes and then take it out.  probably would save hydro by using the microwave LOL.  i do use the infrared heaters for the young animals in my barn and they love it (and so does my hydro bill).....

If you google "heating pad auto shut off", there are heat pads that include auto shutoff features.  When my shoulder issues were different form what I currently have, I found relief by draping the heating pads over the back of a reclining chair and sitting into them.  Often, it felt so good, I would fall asleep for hours.  When I checked the heat pad packaging this morning, I found the auto shutoff to be two hours, which to me seems rather long.  Anyway, by having the auto shutoff, it saved me from getting skin burns.  Maybe the two hours worked for me since I was semi-vertical in a reclining chair.  

• advertisement

DavidG - I reread your post again.  I misunderstood your post. Thanks for the clarification.

•    The heating pad I own is auto shut off...though I prefer cold so I mainly use ice packs. I love coolness on the back of my neck and shoulder also found its helped numb nerve pain better and for longer periods of time then heat.

I've also owned one of those rice packs Dilauro talked about it has added herbs and spices for a nice aroma therapy too.. now that's very relaxing.

• Thanks everyone. I was looking into buying the Thermotex Platinum infrared heating pad. It is supposed to deliver heat up to 2.36 inches. It seems to be the rolls Royce of heating pads but is over $200!  Trying to decide if it is worth it. 

advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.