advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.

This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

See the Veritas Health sites: Spine-health.com, Arthritis-health.com, Sports-health.com, Pain-health.com for medical articles and videos.
advertisement

Post surgery weakness

Hi, I had surgery 4 days ago - C7-T1 fusion. Prior to surgery I had a little weakness of my right wrist and ring+little finger, but right after I woke up I had pretty severe weakness and it is still the same. So the weakness is actually much worse than before surgery. Has anyone else experienced a worsening of weakness post surgery?

advertisement

Comments

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,443

phalkier

Chip gave you very good advice on recovery, time and patience. I hope you read the link, it has helped a lot of other members.
    If you would, please give us more information on yourself.

Take care and hope to hear from you soon.

• advertisement
  • RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 1,030

are you kidding? That is a huge surgery and just think of how many hours you were sedated. I'm almost 2 years post-op from my latest major fusion and I still have some weakness. Just happy to be doing what I'm able to do.

• Hi again and thanks for your feedback! So the weakness is still bad and worse than prior to surgery. It’s now about 5 weeks past surgery. Because of the weakness I think all other muscles are being overstrained and they hurt a bit. Until today I haven’t really experienced any nerve pain after surgery. But today it started to build up and it became pretty severe. Much much worse than before surgery - but also the first time I’ve had any pain after surgery. Now I’m super worried!!! Why am hurting this much (hand and lower arm) all of a sudden???

• challengercchallenger Posts: 1,209
    edited 07/18/2019 - 1:32 PM

phalkier

If your pain has become severe I would report it to your surgeon

Chip

• advertisement
  • Initially after surgery you feel mild extra weakness and as others said earlier its because of decompression ,nerve being stretched during surgery etc but most important the muscles go back to normal tone(In compressed state the tone night be higher due to the nerve tracts) - it makes the feeling of an apparent weakness and the best treatment is physiotherapy to get back the old strength back  But pain if its increasing please do get an opinion  just so that something is not missed out

advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.