advertisement
advertisement

Kratom

I began using kratom this past Tuesday - 4/23/19 - for chronic back pain and for insomnia/anxiety. I got relief from lower back pain in less than an hour and have been sleeping better than I have in years.

Sciatica struck overnight but I didn’t recognize it at first; it feels like my hamstring is sore at first. As the day goes on and I’m in more and more pain - like at about 7 and at an 8 when I try to sit  -  I remembered the kratom. I bought the loose product so, I mixed up a couple of grams in a protein shake and I’m waiting for relief. 

30 minutes later... beginning to feel a tiny bit of relief. (Please withhold scolding me and warning me about a substance I have researched already. I took opiates for YEARS and have ingested pounds of ibuprofen since opiates are no longer prescribed in the same manner - spare me. Thanks).

One hour later: I feel so much better. Pain is probably about a 4 now. Lots of relief! With horrible sciatica, breathing hurts!  I was afraid I’d feel drowsy but I only feel relief from pain. Sciatica is some of the worst pain - good to know kratom WILL work for nerve pain; at least it did for me. 

advertisement

Comments

• LizLiz Posts: 2,382
    edited 07/18/2019 - 1:49 PM

Before you try any supplement, herb, over the counter item, exercise program, mechanical aid, brace, etc always consult with your doctor to make sure you get their approval. Some of these products may be very effective, but no two individuals or medical conditions are alike. What works for one, may cause trouble for another.

• scottgoodwinsscottgoodwin beverlyPosts: 36
    edited 07/18/2019 - 1:50 PM

I did a lot of research and actually joined a kratom group online before purchasing. I order through an administrator of that group and the kratom is tested for purity. Kratom doesn't get high like marijuana and the only side effect I've encountered is constipation. It helps with my back pain about as well as the tramadol did. Of course this is just my experience and everyone needs to make their own decision regarding what they use for medications.

• advertisement
  • I'm a retired Fed agent that spent a great deal of time on narcotics cases and can honestly say that myself and a great deal of fellow agents were extremely glad to finally see Marijuana no longer being the bane of society it once was and with time kratom will follow and in certain states already has. I am glad to see that you are getting the relief you need and deserve even though a lot of folks probably think your a fool for doing it. I'm not and applaud you. I will say be careful, buy from legitimate sources and do your homework. If it worries you there are home test kits available that would indicate if the product has been screwed with or mixed with a substance other than kratom. The law here in my state requires pre testing just like with cannabis and I can walk into just about any store and come out with a package. Personally. have not tried it but do have several packages of gold and red that were given to me so maybe someday.. ANyway, Congrats, thanks for letting us know it works and keep up the fight....

• While I know since Kratom is not regulated and you do take a chance when you order it, I agree with JerseyMike.  You should be able to find a Company you feel comfortable with if you really research it. 

I have looked into it extensively and found a few companies I would indeed order from.   The only reason I don't is because I am afraid it would violate my PM contract. 

Kratom looks quite promising to me and there are lots of patients that swear by it. 

There needs to be research done because I personlly think Kratom may have alot to offer.

We'll never know if we don't give it a chance.

Cindy

•    I have to agree both with Jerseymike and n2braves.

I too have not tried it but from what I've read as well as from what other have told me that use it have said it does sound promising. I've read and heard many use it as a way to kick heroin or for chronic pain relief. 

Over the last 20  years many more natural resources have been used in many medical settings. The whole more holistic approach to medicine. So Kratom is just another. I hope we continue to explore what mother nature has to offer us. Sounds silly but its true.. Many new treatments are coming forth do to people exploring these thing and believe me the medical community takes notice. 

N2braves..have you asked your PM his views on it ? only if they give you the ok then it shouldn't be a problem if hes give you the go ahead. Many people use herbs and spices too they have found help them

I know my old PM was strict..my new PM is also strict but open to alternatives and is a big fan of MM . I like this new PM for that one reason hes open.I can talk honestly with him too...my old pm I felt more like I was being talked down to or ordered more to being to talk face to face..I had to laugh at my new pm my last visit we started talking about MM and the next thing I knew he was leaning back in his chair pretending to smoke a joint..I know that might shock some..but this doctor though he has continued me on opioids is well aware that many cant be ..he does both pain management and addiction so he know how hard it been on those that truly need opioids during these times like me...and understand how hard it's been on me and how willing I am to try anything if it might help.

So I'd have a open conversation with your pm..you never know they may give you the green light to try it.

That one other thing..in this country if it's not on a white prescription slip we tend to view it negatively and that is not always true.

• advertisement
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.