advertisement
advertisement

Spinal fusion

I've heard all kinds of things about spinal fusion. Can someone please give me some positive feedback on it. If there is any. Thx.

advertisement

Comments

• LizLiz Posts: 2,417
    edited 07/23/2019 - 12:08 PM

Hello BassPlayer14 

Welcome to Veritas Health Forum

Please give more information, all spine patients are different and outcome depends on many situations. There are lots of articles and discussions regarding fusions that you can research.

Many members do not return to the forum after recovery they go back to work and getting on with their life.

Learn how to use Veritas Health Forum - see the tutorial 

new member information guideline / checklist 

• challengercchallenger Posts: 1,603
    edited 07/18/2019 - 12:36 PM

BassPlayer14

I will tell you my story, which I consider a success, I have had 3 fusion surgeries, the first was L5 which was bone on bone prior to surgery, surgeon wanted to do L3-L4 during surgery, dummy me didn't let him do it, so I had that done a little over a year later, I went back to work after both surgeries, 4 weeks after first, 8 weeks after second, I have also had cervical fusion surgery,

If I did not have other spinal problems, I don't think the fusion surgeries would be very much of a problem at all.

There are many success stories of fusion patients, many that have went on to live a full and pain free life.

Take care and keep us posted.

Chip

• advertisement
  • I ended up with what they call failed back surgery syndrome of FBSS. The fusion got rid of my sciatic pain. But caused me new horrible debilitating pain. I have had it for three years. There is nothing they can do about it. I am fused and structurally I am good. There are multiple causes for FBSS. So far it has been pain management clinics for me, and a spinal cord stimulator. Which works a little for residual leg pain, but doesnt do anything for this new pain I developed after the surgery. Feels like I am going to break in half 24 hours a day, Seven days a week. Had the fusion surgery (4 levels) on March 1st 2016.

• The term because of our fight is about as brutal as the fight for health.  And because you can't confirm kit for months after surgery.  I’ve had the structurally sound but failed pain wise L5;S1 fusion.   I wasn’t willing to let that be an answer.   

• I can barely bring my self to say FBSS

• advertisement
  • You probably hear a lot of bad things about fusions because it is always so much easier to focus on what hurts and where it hurts. People that are feeling great, well...they wouldn’t necessarily be on this site looking for kindred spirits to what they are going through or going to be going through. I go to a heated therapy pool to walk and exercise, many different people with different abilities and disabilities are there...what I have found when discussing back issues with other people is that I think if you fuse you can have a host of issues to deal with, if you don’t fuse you have a host of issues to deal with. The one thing that we have in common is that we get up every day, we are able to get to the therapy pool and have a group of supportive people happy to see us! There is always someone that is worse off than you in the pool. It is humbling and makes you remember what is important. I consider myself to be fortunate to have the many great years I have had between my fusion surgeries! The surgeries and experiences have made me who I am today. I am not a coulda, woulda, shoulda person. It has taken me a while to get there. I still have sad days. I still have mad days. I just don’t make those days the rule, they are the exception. To wrap it up, you can only make your decision “to fuse, or not to fuse” based on the information you have at the time and then you just go forward and you are stronger for going through it one way or the other. Do your research and ask a lot of questions!

BTW...I have had 7 surgeries and am currently fused from T2-S1.

• Well said and well absorbed @Titanium spine queen    Seriously.  Every point is spot on. Sorry any and all are here but we all need each other. In this pool.  Never forget the swim.  I was thinking and hoping years ago it would be a one and done but I’m back and never really left.  Thx for the inspiration & honesty in the message above. 

• I am 10 days post op a 2 level ALIF  (which has brought me to this site)  While i'm still in the very early phases of recovery, I would consider the surgery successful so far. 

advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.