advertisement

In this Discussion

There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.

This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

See the Veritas Health sites: Spine-health.com, Arthritis-health.com, Sports-health.com, Pain-health.com for medical articles and videos.
advertisement

Window of opportunity?

I had a herniated disc L4/L5 back on 9/25/18. Have undergone epidurals with no sucess. First surgeon recommended a microdiscectomy. Kept on doing the PT/Chiro thing for about 20 weeks now until I got a second opinion. This surgeon said my L5/S1 is herniated as well and will need a fusion. Needless to say I will be getting a third opinion. I know some people in the medical field and even some people that have had a fusion and I keep being told that “I don’t want to wait to long.” Over the course of my injury I’ve developed a “lean” where my should drops to one side and my hip is hiked up. So my question is, is there a timeframe you don’t wanna go past? I just don’t wanna go out and rush into a fusion surgery, but some of these well renowned surgeons are taking new patients 4-6 months out. I’m not in agony but Everyday is uncomfortable for me. Furthermore I’m 35 years old and people keep telling me I’m too young for back problems.....oh thanks

-Aaron 

advertisement

Comments

• I love the "too young" thing. I'm 24. First herniation happened at 16 and it took me 7 years to get it diagnosed because every doctor I saw said "you're young, here's some PT and you'll be fine". There's no immunity to this type of thing just because of age... 

Anyway, I will say that my initial microdiscectomy helped me immensely. I was virtually pain free after a few weeks. I was elated. I lost 65lbs in 5 months. But I overdid it and ended up with recurrent herniation... now I am faced with the dilemma of fusion as well, since I've herniated the same level.  

Best of luck! 

Sign In or Join Us to comment.